The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my tank in my basement which is always cold. It is always in the mid 60's. I have my 250w Jager in the overflow of my 65g tank and set at about 79. However the tank is stuck at about 76 degrees. I have had this heater for a very long time so I think it needs to be replaced. What do you guys think?

Any recommendations should I just stick with Jager? I was looking at the Finnex heaters but the reviews are all over the place from it destroyed my tank to it works great.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I've seen some go well over 10 years old but those were german made models. They are made in China now so who knows. I do have half a dozen of them running at 1-4 years of age but I have seem some fail in under a year. They are still my heater of choice but I prefer to run heaters on an external controller.

·
Premium Member
34,741 Posts
mercy. i have a Ebo heater from the late 80's that i had running up until 2008 when i took my tank down. :mad: when i get my new system up and running i will have no problems check to make sure the cable is fine, then throwing it in. what can go wrong with them except the cable?

G~

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mercy. i have a Ebo heater from the late 80's that i had running up until 2008 when i took my tank down. :mad: when i get my new system up and running i will have no problems check to make sure the cable is fine, then throwing it in. what can go wrong with them except the cable?

G~
I cant figure out why it is not putting out enough power. I cranked it up a bit more yesterday and my tank temp did not change. I have two thermometers on the tank so I know it is not them. I will say it is almost impossible to turn the dial on the top now so I am wondering if that is actually the problem now. It may be broken.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may just pick up a cheapo cheater today from Petco, something I will use for water mixing just to get my temp up a few degrees. In the old MH light days I would not have to worry about that... too bad LED's dont get very hot

·
My reef tanks my wallet.
925 Posts
I cant figure out why it is not putting out enough power.
Have you taken it out of the water when "on" and felt the heat coming off? My understanding was the heaters are not controlled by a rheostat but a thermostat. So turning it "up" does not increase the heat output but rather increases the thermostat's "on/off" point. The heater itself puts out the same amount of energy no matter where the thermostat is set.

Take your heater out of the water for a few seconds. It should be very hot to the touch and cause the water to vaporize when you put it back in. If it does that, then its not your heater.

·
My reef tanks my wallet.
925 Posts
I have my 250w Jager in the overflow of my 65g tank and set at about 79. However the tank is stuck at about 76 degrees.
76 actually makes perfect sense under these conditions. If the heater is in your over flow then the water is cooling as it goes down the over flow to the sump. You skimmer adds cold mid 60s air to the water. The water is further cooled through the return line back to the tank. a 3 degree drop under this scenario is very reasonable.

Try putting the heater in the return chamber of your sump.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,227 Posts
Agreed, you definitely want the heater in your return chamber of your sump.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really think this thing is dying! I moved it to the return area of my sump about three hours ago. My temp is slowly dropping. The light is on and it is warm to the touch but that is it just warm to the touch. I am going to go pick up a small cheap heater just to help until my new ones get here.

·
My reef tanks my wallet.
925 Posts
I really think this thing is dying! I moved it to the return area of my sump about three hours ago. My temp is slowly dropping. The light is on and it is warm to the touch but that is it just warm to the touch. I am going to go pick up a small cheap heater just to help until my new ones get here.
It's dying. Should be HOT to the touch and sizzle when you put it back in water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.