The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I turn mine inside out, put in it a clean wash tub, then use Hot Hot, small load setting, 1 cup bleach, little baking soda, washing soda, all unscented with an extra rinse....
that won't leech chemicals into the tank?

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
and is that in a dish washer or washing machine?
I use my cloths washer...

I only use bleach, Biodegradable detergent, baking soda, washing soda, borax and sometimes a little spray and wash in my machine, so there are not a lot of "chemicals" to start with for me...

I would not use a laundry mat for sure!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just use bleach n hot water not soap at all...but do an extra rinse cycle, works perfect for me!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hmmm I might have to try this method then

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
I turn mine inside out and throw them in the washer on small load setting with some bleach and an extra rinse cycle. When they are finished I take them out and let them air dry prior to using them again.

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
Baking soda and washing soda are the safest bet. Bleach works wonders but be sure to add the second rinse option if available to ensure you rinse it away completely. If you are hesitant about bleach, substituting distilled white vinegar in the bleach dispenser work very well too. As you'll likely be washing the sock at least every 2-3 days, you won't have to worry too much about removing stains. If you are, then you probably have been using the sock too long and are allowing too much waste to rot inside it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a small load cycle with 8oz of hydrogen peroxide do with extra rinse and it came out perfect.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Maybe being overly cautious, but after I do my washer and rinse I put filter socks into a 5g bucket of water with dechlorinator added. I can still smell the chlorine after a second rinse, but after using the dechlorinator no smell.

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
how long do you dry them, and can you still smell bleach when dry?
They sit outside for at least 12 hours. Sometimes overnight. It never rains unexpectedly in san diego so I leave them there until I need them. No chlorine smell when dry. I think the sunlight destroys the molecule or at least evaporates it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts