The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - now that I have all these fans running over the water and the sump....I am losing about 1 1/2 to 2 gallons a day in the sump. IS this normal - having to top off 2 gallons a day?

I guess I could cut evaporation if I put the glass top on the tank - but then gas and heat exchange go out the window......

Advice?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I lose about a gallon or a bit more a day with my 80 gallon reef tank so yours doesn't seem to much different! What size tank do you have?:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Johnny - Mine is a 65 with an extra 10 gal in the system- but thanks for the reassurance - I am using so many fans to keep temp in the cabinet down I am causing super evaporation.....

·
Registered
822 Posts
I agree, thats probably about normal, particularly if you're running fans on an open tank. I have a 4 foot dispaly tank, a 55 gallon sump and another 55 gallon refugium/macroalgae tank. I evaporate about 2 to 2.5 gallons a day. The display tank is mostly covered, but the other two are open.

·
Super Moderator
22,419 Posts
my 75 g-open top(no glass) light canopy over it, two fans blowing out, one in, 2 -400W MH's + pc actinics,,,about 2 1/2- 3 gallons a day,,,,yours sounds normal,,,
i vote no on the cover over the tank,,as far as lighting loss goes,and water/air exchange,,,
IMO

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I agree with Zunkzoo with no cover over aquarium! I have a center plate of glass but that's it!:)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
my 55 with 5 gallon sump loses about a gallon a day, and i dont even have any fans on it. so i think your tank sounds about normal.

dont put glass over the tank. now you have reason to build an auto top off :)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Another vote for normal. My 135 with 30 gallon sump and 20 gallon refugium evaporates about 20 gallons a week with two fans blowing into the canopy.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Underwaterreefer.....
several reasons....
1. they trap heat in the water (not allowing fans to work)
2. They cut down on light intensity (filters out some light)
3. they cut down on the gas exchange (CO2, Oxygen etc)
4. lastly salt can build up on the glass, and flake off, landing on corals or clams and causing tissue damage....

to name a few

·
Registered
822 Posts
But, they also keep fish from jumping out and going "carpet surfing", and keep water and salt from from splashing on very hot metal halide bulbs. Like all (or at least most) things in this hobby, there are pluses and minuses with just about all options.

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you want to keep <>< from jumping out just use some egg crate. My 37g evaporates about 1 gallon a day. So, I need to invest into a RO unit, $1.19 for RO h2o here.

-Paul

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have also seen a large improvment and water quality with RO water compaired to tap water.

-Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts