The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two clowns. the one clown keeps like nawing on one of my mushrooms that it made a home out of. its doesnt look like it is hurting the mushrooms but i would know what it is doing?

·
Tampa Reefer
453 Posts
If it is hosting in the mushroom, it's probably just wiggling down into it. Clowns like to snuggle in their nems. What she really needs is an a nem. If you don't want to get a nem, try a hammer, torch or frogspawn coral. My clown liked hammer coral before I got a nem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a huge peace of frog spawn it was nesting in that for a couple of days then it swiched to the mushroom. i have never seen a fish do this though its just nawing on the side of the mushroom.

·
Tampa Reefer
453 Posts
Well ... here's another possibility. My clowns prepare their nesting spots for days ahead of laying eggs. They will both continuously "naw at" the rock next to their nem. I think they do it to remove any algae or other contaminents, although to my eye there is nothing there at all. So, maybe your clown is getting ready to spawn.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that would be nice. i dont know what i will do it they do spawn.

·
Tampa Reefer
453 Posts
Nothing. LOL! Trying to raise them is tough, and you have to keep them in a clown only tank, with special food, etc. So most people (like me) watch their clowns lay egss and guard them for a few weeks til they hatch. Then you never see the fry, and presumably something eats them. Then repeat the process. Clowns seem to spawn around the full moon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the clown fry act like damsel fry, they hatch an hour after the lights go out. Protein skimmers and pumps destroy them pretty fast. I am attempting to raise some of the damsel fry from my large tank in a 14 gal nano, which is cycling now.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Q? If you have fish that are acting like this, can you move them to a new tank? like take some of the substrate the nem and water from the tank? That way the new tank won't cycle? Or will it cycle anyway? just curious, my bf and I are thinking about getting my clown a mate.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think if you use established water/rock...everything .... then your new tank will not cycle. I'm not sure of this though. Might want to wait to see what others say.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts