The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have found what looks like a whitish star fish in my tank on the LR, It is moving about quite a bit. and its about 1cm in size. The only thing that makes me think it isnt a star fish is that it has 1 ling leg and seven shorter legs.
What could it be? and is it safe?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

it sounds like an Asterina star. they are very common. one is a harmless algae eater the other is a SPS eater. if you do not have any SPS in the tank than no problem. it will either die off due to lack of food or if it reproduces than you know it is the algae eating ones. if you do have SPS in the tank, than take note on where the star is located. if you only see it under LR that contains SPS than you may have the predatory version. :(

G~

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have some in my tank. There was A LOT of them and now there are some. I thought that hermit crabs eat them.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Pix please, even then it will be a guess at what the seastar is without some very specific morpological information. It is most likely some type of Asterina spp, most of which are reefsafe detritus and algae eaters, but a few are reported to becoralivores. They are fissaperous (asexual reproduction via fission) and in systems rich in organics may become a problem, especially if fod sources disappear and they are coralivores of last choice. The sea star I am referring to is THE SMALL WHITE ONE being eaten by a Nardoa spp., a hit-or-miss predator of the Asterina spp.:

Photo from Advanced Aquarist Mqar 2003 (see link below)--Greg Schiemer

see THIS LINK For a brief clip

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
btw,

Welcome to TRT!

I love to see the Brits show up, as you guys always have a unique persective to the hobby!

...and I am not seeing a photo here...

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Start watching around the bases of your stony corals for signs of predation. Is that particular specimen on top of a piece of coral skeleton? or am I just seeing things...?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts