The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to this forum, but am so sad about my clownfish that I had to try to get help in any way that I can. I have a new salt water fish tank. We ran it empty for about two weeks, then with just live rocks for about 3-4 more. After 6 or so weeks, the people at the pet store told us it would be safe to add fish.

We have two clown fish who are absolutely beautiful. We added them to the tank approximately 3 weeks ago. For the first week or so, they seemed to be fine. They get along really well, and seem happy. However, about a week and a half ago, we noticed that white lumps began appearing all over their bodies. One clown fish is far worse than the other. He literally looks like he has cotton-ish growths growing out of both of his front fins, and all over both sides of his body. It is uncomfortable to even look at. The other clown fish has growths just on one side of his body, and does not have nearly as many. To me they look like big pieces of cotton, or even large salt crystals. When we first saw them appear, we thought the fish had gotten too close to the sand, because it looked like they had rolled in it. They still swim around actively, and eat heartily, which I know are good signs, but it breaks my HEART to see them with these "growths". The one poor little guy looks like he shouldn't even be capable of swimming, he has so many.

The only other fish in the tank are one chocolate chip sea star, and formerly one shrimp, who only lived for 3 days in our tank before we found him dead with a huge bulbous, clear growth on his side (we are not sure if he had this when we purchased him or not, as he hid at the bottom of our tank). As you can tell, we are not having good luck, despite trying our very hardest to provide a safe home for our fish friends.

Anyway, I have attached photos of my clown fish. The one that is worse off is harder to photograph because he swims much faster, but i tried my best. PLEASE let us know what to do. We check the tank first thing every morning because we are so scared that they are going to die every night.

We are new at this...do not yet have a quarantine tank, and do not feel it would be safe to set one up on the fly?

Any tips, information, suggestions would be appreciated! Pics Below:

fish1.jpg
fish2.jpg
fish 3.jpg

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Looks familiar, trying to find info I have saved where I read about it last.

Want to say parasites causing tumor like growths.... Pictures its hard to see.

I might get lucky and find the article, I hope so.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Are the growths near the and on the fins and gills area the most?

It might be Lymphocyctis Virus

If so its a virus and only way to treat it is through keeping the tank pristine and good water quailty, and good food qauilty. UV sterilizers can help possibly.

Most survive it under healthy circumstances

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Here is a link with some info, No treatments but usually come out of it okay. Where did you get your fish from?

Some good reading http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa181

I hope the work through it okay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! That article was very helpful. Yes, it seems to be in the fin/gill area for the most part, although there are some along the side of the body as well.

So basically we should just wait it out and not add any additional fish, correct? How often should we be doing water changes in a 39 gallon tank to keep the water optimal and give the little guys the best chance?

Thank you again. It's very nice to hear that they might survive!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
looks like there is white spots on the plastic leaves as well. I would not keep that stuff in a SW tank. IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are fake plants. The people at the pet store said that they would be safe...is that not true? We have never used them in a fresh water tank, they are new. Could they be the cause of whatever is happening? What are the dangers? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
968 Posts
No offense, but I would definitely spend some time reading through this forum and on the web about sw tanks and understanding how they work. It will only help you and your fish.

·
Blue Tang
1,307 Posts
Yes it will creat salt creep from the bubbles and you will not be a happy camper when it gets out of control. Just wondering how big is the tank, do you have live rock, and what are you using for filtration

1 - 18 of 18 Posts