The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant find images for them I dont know what it is. They look like little pimples growing on the rocks and then it seems that some have kind of bloomed into a coral looking thing. Again I'm new so i Dont know how to identify these. I'm trying to think of the best way to describe it. They are growing about 1/8th of an inch long and look like little white worm heads with a hole in the middle.

I also have an anenome looking thing on the top of my rock. It looks a LOT like one (it has tenticles and is attached via a tube like connection to my rock) but its very small. Maybe about the size of the last joint of my pinky. or alittle smaller.

Also I have seen some other things hiding in the rocks that look like pictures ive seen of starfish but again its VERY small like the size of a penny but it has the same arms of some of the starfish ive seen. but I've not seen the full creature yet.

Snails are finally starting to come out and move around my tank from the live rock too!

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Try and get a pic of that anemone. Could be a manjano or an aptasia. If it is, you'll want to kill it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
aptasia. I had to kill them last week. Use white distilled vinegar to kill them. That is what these guys here told me and it worked like a charm.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Inject them with 1cc of distilled white vinegar by means of a syringe. They will likely give you one at the pharmacy. I went in seven or eight years ago and told them what it was for, and she handed me a box and said "honey I've heard it all, but at least I know for sure your not an addict":funny:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is the vinager different from normal stufF? I have like red wine and what not, I might have to dig around to see if I can find some. Is that the only known solution? or best that is...

·
Registered
201 Posts
That is the only stuff that I know of unless you want to use chemicals. Or you can use some Joe's Juice. I know one guy uses it for that, maybe he chime in to let you know how that works.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
You can use joe's juice, kalk paste and some people use peppermint shrimp. There is also the Copper Banded Butterfly fish, but they are poor shippers and die in captivity more than they survive, so I don't recommend them at all. But you only have a few, get your hands wet and get them out before you have a hundred;)

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Inject them with 1cc of distilled white vinegar by means of a syringe. They will likely give you one at the pharmacy. I went in seven or eight years ago and told them what it was for, and she handed me a box and said "honey I've heard it all, but at least I know for sure your not an addict":funny:
:lol: Actually you are an addict just not the type she was thinking about.

Since the rock still looks really bare, you could also pull it out and use a blow throch on it. They don't respond well to that treatment at all. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
by the way, is aptasia harmful to fish if it happens to some how come back? I did a little reading and it seemed it does damage to other anenomies coral etc. What kind of problems have you guys had from it?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
They reproduce like rabbits on hormones and sting and kill corals and stuff until they overrun the tank... Thanks all, nothing big:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, I have a bunch of little white pods on one rock. Anyone know if these are aptasia? They are grayish/white things sticking out of my LR. Nowhere near the aptasia infestation but I guess it could have spread over there?

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
blow torch? how about a match hahaha...
:nuts: Oh, come on now, you are thinking too small. If you could find a Binford Flame Thrower 2000 it might get the job done even quicker. :nuts:

Seriously though, the blow torch is for the sustained burn at a higher temperature than just a match. The match might just make it retract into the rock. The torch can follow it into the rock and finish it off for good. :cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts