The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this might be a little long and drawn out, but if you want facts, you are gonna get 'em.
I have a 300 gallon sps tank, with a little over 420 gallons in the total system. About 3 weeks ago I started to notice that my big red table was starting to either bleach or RTN. End result of that was I lost it, the coral rtn'd in less than 2 days. OK, I can deal with that. I also started noticing that all the millepora in the system lost there polyp extension and it looked like they were starting to bleach also. I was also losing colors in just about all my sps. I also have a couple of lps in there and they were doing fine, at least up until this last week, now they are also not extending their polyps. My yellow figi leather, the only sofite in the system is really looking bad.
I have upped my water change schedule along with the amounts, with no help in site.

I finally sat down with a buddy of mine last nite, who by the way, has had the same thing happen to his tank. He has lost all of his sps. He is barebottom, I have a dsb. He told me that the symptoms between the 2 tanks are eerily(sp?) similar. After a little brainstorming, the only thing in common that we came up with was the fact that we had changed the seals on our ampmaster pumps. his was changed and installed back in the first part of June, mine was changed when I had to throw in a new pump on my closed loop on July 21. The effects have been, like I said, the same.

Well, that's about it. All my water tests checked out good, I had someone else test for nitrate, nitrite and Phosphate, and all numbers were good. I myself, am wondering about copper poisoning?????????????????????? but the new seals that we installed are supposed to be marine safe. This is all I can come up with, otherwise, I am at a loss, and probaly could use a few more opinions.
I have been in contact with my LFS guy, Kevin in Spokane, very knowledgeable, and he is pretty much at a loss also. I have checked for stray voltage, and if there was any, I wouldn't be writing this now. Anybody got any ideas???????????????? Thanx in advance, I will try answer any questions you guys have, I will be in and out all day, so be a little patient, I know I have been.

Forgot to add, I did change lites on July 1, with the proper acclimation period that followed.
This tank has been up for 2.5 years

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you both use the same water source? If your water company started using cloramines it will get past your RO unit.

DI resins will reduce it , but you should have noticed the DI gettin used up very quickly if that's the case.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EdFink said:
Do you both use the same water source? If your water company started using cloramines it will get past your RO unit.

DI resins will reduce it , but you should have noticed the DI gettin used up very quickly if that's the case.

He is on city water, no chlorine used in Columbia Falls, I am on my own well. TDS readings are between 0 and 4. I have already had Culligan test both my tap and RO/DI water, and nothing unusual was found.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mantisfreak said:
Wow Bud!!!

I don't have a clue what is causing this but I hope someone else has a good idea for you.
Is this who I think it is, is this the Curt I know????

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally broke down and bought a little volt-ohm meter, and it is showing me about 5 volts of stray voltage. My friend is gonna bring buy his grounding probe for me to hook up tomorrow. I am also going to use one of my spare tanks and throw everything saveable in it. Wish me luck, this sucks!!!!!

·
AKA Douglas Lowey
593 Posts
:( Crap Charlie. Sorry about the corals in that beautiful tank. I seen you mention it on RL but never relized it was that bad.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
keep us posted on the stray electrical voltage.

as for the seals, i would not think this would be the problem. soaking the seals in RO/DI water than running a Cu test on the water should ease your mind on that though.

when checking for stray voltages make sure to unplug the devices. only turning them off may not give you accurate readings.

G~

·
Super Moderator
22,146 Posts
Ditto, 5 volts to ground is way too much to be induced voltage, you have something "leaking" into the tank.Do a search on this subject here, and amoung others posting i have on occasion posted a few of my long speils on stray voltage ,how to check it, and how to remove it,,
One thing to check, as it's happened to me here,is to (with power to them off) take a damp towel and wipe down all the power cords you have around the tank. If you get a slight bit of salt creep on the cables(powerheads/pumps etc) it can track via the power cord and into the tank, I had that happen to me via the lighting power cords.
Since you mentioned it could be from changing the seals on your pump,i'd go that route first off tho,,,take one lead of the meter(right now set to AC volts)into the tank, and the other to ground, preferably hard connected to the ground of your 110 outlet(the cover mounting screw should work) read the voltage with everything on, or reverse it and start with nothing on.And based on how you start out, either plug/unplug one device at time and monitor the meter readings,,,obviously the one that changes the meter reading the most is the culprit. After you find the thing that is causing the problem , remove/repair said device.Then after you take care of the major problem , set the meter to "milli-volts" (if your meter has that range setting, and start all over againIf the meter read "OL" if it's a digital meter,or pegs the meter , if it's a analog scaled meter, go back to the volt setting and take whatever it takes to eliminate the voltage.It's the milli-volt readings that you will have in a tank, from induced voltage of things running in your tank, that the grounding probe will "eat up".(that's the true use for the probe)
After you get that 5 volts eliminated from your tank do the milli-volt reading with the ground probe out of the tank, and try to reduce what you can from the readings, then install the ground probe in the tank, and see where you stand then.
If you have a sump , it's a good idea to have a probe in there also,you would think one in the tank should take care of things, but a lot of times it does not.
Hope you care care of your problem there,,,with out too much problems,,,
HTH

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have installed a ground probe in the sump and the voltage now reads 0. I don'y have access to a meter that does Milli amps. :(:(
All my corals are ina holding tank as of right now. There aren't any electrical cords in the tank at, so I am at kind of a loss there.
Thanx for the help, I really appreciate it!!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I need to get in there and do a thorough check today when I get home from work, 2 people are better than 1 when checking this type of thing.
I have 2 ebo-jager heaters, 2 AM3K, 1 Iwaki 100, 1 mag9, 1 Little giant 4, and 1 maxi jet 1200 in the fuge. I will break things down and get back to you all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts