The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My tanks has been set up for about a month, 75 gl about 75lbs rock ( 50 base 25 live) I have two dead shrimp floating on a pcs of foam, Yesterday I tested ph = good
amonia = 0 pts
nitrate= 0
nitrite=0
my rock show signs of brownish velveties growth some release small air bubbles

what is happening?
Should I add more shrimp?
let me hear what you think please

·
Retired Wanderer
17,388 Posts
Take out the shrimp and just let the rock sit for a while. Sounds like a normal part of the cycling process. Your water readings can be okay and the rock is still cycling. If the stuff on your rocks blows off with a turkey baster then it will go away all by itself in the next two weeks.

You might want to blow off all the detritus on your rocks now then do a water change and suck any goo out of the substrate.

Otherwise, sitting on your hands is my vote.

·
11,345 Posts
dont use the shrimp period. yes it will work but it will reek.

straight ammonia. Give us some more info like if it is base rock or where yu got the rock from and I can tellyou how much I would suggest using.

Kick starting a cycle or seeding base rock with straight ammonia gets it done quick. BUT.........you might not need anything. Need mroe info about the rock in question

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
It sounds like a normal part of the tank cycling. Take the shrimp out and remove the algae if you can. I would not worry about it too much. Manually remove the algae and do regular water changes and you should be fine. Add fish and corals slowly and keep up with the maintenance.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
The shrimp would only need to be in the tank for a couple hours to get things started, but as Fly mentions they'll stink. Sounds like you've got cyanobacteria, maybe dinoflagellates, could be other algaes. Some pictures would help with the ID, along with other tank specifics (filtration, water change husbandry, etc.).

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
what are the rest of the parameters temp, salinity, what do you use for top off water? what were the previous tests of nitrite, trate, and amonia? also what kind of lights and how long are they on?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
temp is 79 degrees
s.g. is 1.024
Lighting two 65wt Atinecs
two white lights each bulb is 12000k
I bought the set up used so I may not speak the light laungage, they are on timers and are on for 11.5 - 12 hours aday,

in my fug I have some ruble with a compact flourescentd bulb making 5100 k
my skimmer collect some nasy looking green brown funk. But I have yet to record any amonia nitrite ot n -trate
the sand is starting to get a brown covering like the rocks show
Hope this helps you help me

Thanks

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
It's still in the cycle. Give it some time and let the tank mature.

Is the covering something you can just wipe off? Try taking a piece of rock out of the tank, put it in a 5 gallon bucket, and see what it takes to get it off the rocks. If it just comes right off, then its more than likely diatoms and just part of the cycle.

PC light (Power Compacts) typically have a life span on the bulbs of 6-9 months. It isn't a problem for cycling but you need to plan on replacing them soon so that they aren't old bulbs. When they get "old", they don't just blow and stop working. The light spectrum degrades first and instead of being a 12K bulb, the light will drop down to 8K, 6K, and so on. As the spectrum gets lower, it starts having a yellow look to it as it approaches "daylight" and that low a spectrum feeds algae blooms.

Good luck with it.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
A water change won't hurt it at all. As for testing, weekly should be enough unless something happens in the system (algae bloom, spillage, etc..) to make you think you need to test it more often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts