The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Welcome Jack. Corals are members of the same group of animals as jellyfish and sea anemones, the Cnidaria. The actual coral animal or polyp is soft bodied, with tentacles like a sea anemone. The main difference is that corals secrete an external calcium carbonate skeleton and sea anemones do not. The hard skeletons(branching,mounds, etc) basically form the coral reefs.

Anemones move around. One could argue they seem to have more on the ball than corals? Some say they are looking for light, I have heard rumors on the street they could be looking for their owners or a better view of the tv?

No one really knows, except maybe Bill.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
lfish said:
The main difference is that corals secrete an external calcium carbonate skeleton and sea anemones do not. The hard skeletons(branching,mounds, etc) basically form the coral reefs.
What about soft corals? They do not have a skeleton, do they?

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
I think mt BTAs are trying to look away from my ugly mug...

:lol: :lol: I say that cuz they are always hiding in the back of the tank up high where they get light from the top but behind rock where they are out of view....

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Soft corals contain sclerites in their flesh that give them a certain amount of rigidity. Sclerites are really small strands of calcium carbonate of different shapes.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
So would it be just as important to maintain CA levels if you just have a soft coral tank as it is for a LPS or SPS tank in order to get good growth rates from your soft corals?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Not as important, but still important. Your more rigid soft corals such as toadstool leathers etc. would need more calcium then say xenia. Even an all soft coral tank should keep calcium levels at least 350ppm.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I think on this new system I am going to have to start monitoring that. In the past I have only monitored, ammonia, trates and trites and PH and hardness. Is there any test kits out there that have everything you need for a reef tank. Right now I have a different kit for every test and it's a pain....

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.