The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to set up a reef tank and after cycling and all that I'm adding my two clownfish to it. I am also getting a firefish (I had one but sadly he died a long time ago). I really want a larger fish to keep in the tank.
This is what I want:
-reef-safe
-completely peaceful (won't harm snails, hermit crabs, large shrimp etc)
-hardy
-can do well in a 20-30 gallon tank
-common (found at pet stores often)
-not very expensive (because whenever I get a very expensive fish it dies soon after)
-gets larger then False Percula Clownfish.
-eats flakes or pellets (maybe frozen food)

Thanks

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
+1 on all above! i love RG because they are very active, always hunting. Also love firefish, though for about $20 xra you can buy purple fire fish. Very pretty, a bit boring though IMO. Also like starry blennie. Harder to find, very interesting but not pretty/attractive. All of these guys will eat anything you put in the tank. Also love 6 line wrasse, though add him last if you are going for a community reef.

And just to emphasize, damsels have nasty attitudes most of the time, especially in a small tank. Their hardiness and low price tag is attractive though

·
Registered
432 Posts
i hate damsels, they are so mean!! I would stick with some chromis and some clowns maybe a goby but stay away from damsels, ou wont be sorry trust me!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
+1 on hating Damsels!Ever Considered a Midas Blenny?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I know the tank will be a bit tight for another fish. But I want a active fish that swims in the middle and top parts of the tank. So I don't want gobys.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had damsels once, they were more afraid of my clownfish even though the clownfish just swam around happily! The damsels died from a unknown cause but I think once they got bigger they might've turned aggressive.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
First choice is royal gramma, as noted several times above.
Second choice is a blue green chromis.
Next choice: yellow watchman goby.
Slightly more expensive, and less available is Orange striped cardinal fish.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I love my benggai cardinal pair.if you decideto buy it is good to buy tank raised though, I heard they are endangered.this is a great thread, I can't wait to look up some of the
fish that were suggested!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts