The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90G reef tank now. I started with 29G in April last year and then upgraded to 90G about a 14 months ago.

Here is what I would have done differently if I started all over:

1. Size. Although starting with 29G was a good learning opportunity, I wish I went to 90G right away.

2. Light. I have 3 strips of Marineland reef capable LED lights. I spend about $800-$900 on them, and they do not produce quite enough light, they have 5:1 white:blue LED ratio, and I wish it was more blue and less white. They cover virtually all open space on top of the tank. They are not easy to control. Because they were purchased at different times, only one strip has built in timer, and that timer resets every time I disconnect the strip from the power or lose power in the house. Quite silly.

If I started from scratch, I would go with Radion lights, non-pro version.

3. Power, timers. I have bunch of power cord extensions and timers. It's a mess.

If I started from scratch, I would get some tank control system. I heard good things about Neptune Apex.

4. Phosphate reactor. I would get one right away and not wait for an algae to hit me.

5. DI - I would get one right away, dual. I started without it.

6. Cheap corals - maybe they are OK to start with, but there are few boring ones in my tank I wish I did not have.

7. Live rock - I think I got more than I really needed.

8. Sand - I got some sand from Florida Keys when I went there for a vacation and I thought it would be great to have natural stuff instead of what they sell as live sand. The sand I got is kinda gray and it does not look nice.

9. Tank - I got one with the overflow box kinda in the middle. If I started from scratch, I would get one with the overflow in the corner. I am not sure I need 2 overflow boxes. 1 should be fine.

10. Water parameters - there was time when I kinda relaxed and stopped measuring them, and I had a major an algae outbreak, which I was fighting for several months.

Ok... having said all that, is there anything I got right ? I thin there is.

0. Saltwater tank - I am very happy I got into this fascinating hobby.

1. Tank, sump - I got those used, found them on Craigs List. Saved a lot of money.

2. Stand - I built it myself - saved quite a bit of money.

3. Algae outbreak - took me couple months, but now I am done with it without having to cook my live rock and having lost only one coral - an acropora.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Your definitely right im on round number with my 75 started sump less then bought a pre drilled one so I could add the sump. When you dont have a experienced person helping you out that isnt trying to make money off you it helps. I didn't find trt for a few weeks but by then it was to late. I bought my seaclone skimmer already went t5 hobought petco power heads. Now I have a reef octo skimmer reef breeders led. My powerheads are aqueon but I dont think ill change those the ecotech cost to much

·
Registered
254 Posts
I also started small and upgraded to 90.

I started reading TRT before cycling the 34 RSM.

I would have invested in decent powerheads instead of throwing money away on cheap koralias, one after another.

Also got 'relaxed' or 'busy' and stopped testing and got hit with algae and had a really BAD summer and lost most of my corals.

I learned a lot, the really hard way. But thankfully there is a wealth of support and knowledge here on TRT

I am coming back.

:blob:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ivgn, nice shot of the sun coral, that's my favorite coral. I've got blacks and yellows about 120+ heads
Nice ! Those are hard to keep.

I got blacks as a hitchhikers on the piece of rock I got with trumpet coral. I have to say my orange ones are not doing very well, while the black ones are happier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts