384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what have the rest of you done to cut costs in your electric bill

my roommate and I are struggling to keep a budgetable bill with our tanks

any suggestions?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Being an electrician I tapped off the neighbors pole ;) Shhhhhhhh.

Serious though I dont know if there is much ya can do. Find out what type of light your guys need and give them that, dont over light? Keep the room cool so the chiller doesnt go on much? Replace old gear.

It's an expence that sadly goes with the program.

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
There are a few of things you can do but most have to be done when buying and setting up the tank. For example, return pumps. Not all are made the same. Some, like the bigger MAG pumps are energy hogs. I have a MAG 12 that uses as much electricity as my Dolphin that moves 3 x the water.
Another energy hog that most people don't think about is the skimmer. Many are using high gph(high wattage=$$) pumps to drive the skimmer. Since a skimmer runs 24/7 this can add up. I went with a needle wheel skimmer that uses 2 -35 watt pumps instead of a skimmer that requires 10X plus that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Solartube

Somebody here uses solar tubes (skylights) as a replacement for MH, this could reduce your bill. Especially if you factor in replacement bulb cost. Probably have to supplement to create optimal color, but worth a search.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, we dont' have to pay for water

but thanks for the suggestions so far, I've cut all of my tanks down to an 8 hour photoperiod, 6 for the MH

·
Registered
585 Posts
One thing that might help. The electric company charges what is called "peak" usage. This means that if your lights come on all at once, stagger them. I see you say 8 hr photoperiod, 6 for MH. If you have more than one of any of these, have each bulb come on about 5 mintues or so apart. We did this at the shop and it really helped out a lot. For some this is not a problem, for others it's a point, but it can cut down somewhat on the electric bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
a little outside the box...

sometimes you just can't cut down the electricity bill for the tank, so what i try to do is cut corners in other ways. one thing i do is substitute a Kent SuperBuffer with Baking soda (79 cents) and mrs. wages instead of kalk. these substitutions alone save me at least $30 a month.

oh yeah, keeping your pumps and powerheads clean are supposed to help them run more efficiently... not sure if or how that would affect its overall electrical consumption.

G

·
well i thought by buying a smaller tank at first i would be cutting costs... i am now the proud owner of 13 tanks.........

·
Registered
77 Posts
well im glad someone else brought this topic up too. im getting ready to set up a 75g and asked how much more peoples power bill increased using mh vs pc. the response i got wasnt as nice as these.

·
Registered
290 Posts
SouthernReefer said:
:banana: how about running only a one aquarium :banana:

:funny:
I liked the idea about booting the kids and selling the car better. One tank is just barbaric. ;)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Lights don't work in our apartment anymore as I can't afford bulbs!:(

Can't afford batteries for the flashlights!:(

Can't see the food cooking in the oven or microwave as the bulbs are burned out!:(

Can only run the car during the day as the headlights are out and can't buy any!:(

So with the extra money being saved I sure can afford electricity and have lights galore on my tank! :beer:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts