The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every coral I buy in the store and bring home to my tank slowly looses it's bright vibrant color. It stays healty and grows but looks very dull after a couple weeks. I am guessing that I don't have enough light. Would insufficient lighting cause corals to loose their color? Or is it something else?

Thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tank height: 24"
lighting: (2) 110w daylight VHO, (2) actinic VHO
corals: zoas & mushrooms
parameters: SG-1.026, pH-8.0 to 8.25, temp-78 to 81, nitrites & ntrates-0

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
That really isn't enough light. Replacing the actinics with daylights might help you a bit; but upgrading to MH would be the best solution.

What genera of sps are you keeping? BB or DSB?

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Sorry I mixed it up with another thread. :doh:

Well, that changes things; the only thing I can think of is a chemical problem (maybe aleopathy), as your lighting is sufficient.

Do you run any phosphate media?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I mixed it up with another thread. :doh:

Well, that changes things; the only thing I can think of is a chemical problem (maybe aleopathy), as your lighting is sufficient.

Do you run any phosphate media?
No, but obviously have a phos problem because of constant battle with HA. What is aleopathy? And would using a phos media help or hurt?

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Alleopathy is when corals relase toxins into the water and they negatively affect other corals. Running carbon is a way to alleviate that problem.

Phosphate media isn't a bad thing unless too much is used and causes corals to bleach and algae to grow due to the iron content.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Sorry don't want to hijack you thread Ive had my carbon in now for several days and it really hasn't helped much. Should I add more?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't mention all of my corals, just the ones that were losing their color. Here is a list of all of them:

yellow figi leather
pulsing zenia
trumpet
zoas
mushrooms

Is there anything here that would cause a chemical war?

Is there anything else that would cause a mushroom to grow and expand, but to turn from bright green to dull light brown?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I was having the same problem I had leathers and hard corals(frogspawn 2 brains a bubble and candy cane) The hard corals looked great but the leathers lost all thier colors. They didnt die but didn't grow.

What did you add the carbon for? Algae control? Allelopathy?

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
What kind of light are they under at the store? And how long does the store have them before you buy them?

Corals react differently to different lighting. A coral under metal halide can look completely different under PC or VHO - but not 'lose' its colour - that is to say if you put it back under MH it would look as it did before.

OR - are they still colourful when you bring them home, but fade over time?

Sometimes it seems that corals swap zooxanthellae - I've had different coloured frogspawn, for example, all turn the same colour after a long time together.

Jenn

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Just evesdropping...

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Thanks Jenn
The lfs where I buy my corals have them under reg florescent lights. The corals look all nice and open and full of color. After a day or two they start to close up and get darker. They don't die they just don't look happy. I have MH 2 175 watt with 15000k. The hard corals I have all look great and have almost doubled in size. I did my water test the other day and everything looked good with the exception of calc = 500 and Nitrates 20. Ive been doing bi weekly water changes with ro water. I know my calcium is high but I'm slowly bringing it down with water changes. I was using Oceanic salt and have now switched to reef crystals. My nitrates we're well over 80 a cpl of months ago.
I did place the leather at the btm of the tank so not to burn them.
Ive also added active carbon a few days ago and do see a little improvement but nothing big.
Patrick

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OR - are they still colourful when you bring them home, but fade over time?
This one. They look just as colorful in my tank initially, but slowly loose their color over the first couple of weeks after adding them to my tank.

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts