The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 50G reef tank. I have 2 clownfish, 2 blue chromis, 1 royal gramma, 1 midas blenny. I was wondering what other fish you guys suggest that will work with my aquarium. The fish must be peaceful and reef safe. Please let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Anthias are beautiful fish, but are heavy eaters and usually are required to be fed twice a day. Any sort of goby or blenny would work fine. My personal favorites are the Neon goby and the Tail spot blenny. Interesting fish with lots of personality. Red harkfish are also cool, but some have had problems with them eating their shrimp. Another interesting one is the Banggai cardinal fish, cool fish with interesting black and white patterns. Most wrasses would be a nice addition, like a flasher wrasse or 6line. Lastly, fire fish are really cool, but are jumpers so some sort of lid/grating might be helpful.

·
Keen Reefer
2,170 Posts
You can add some good fishes like Harlequins, Scissortails, Boesmans, Celebes, Zebra, Leopard, and Pearl Danios.
This is a reef tank, so freshwater fish are out of the question, unless he decided to acclimate them to saltwater.

Cardinal fish are always a cool addition. Some smaller gobies would look nice too.

·
Administrator
61,114 Posts
Ollie B you are pretty much maxed out with the fish you have, you might be able to do a pistol shrimp goby combo but that would be pushing it for fish load. Not sure what kind of filtration you are running, but a good skimmer will help maintain water quality as well as frequent water changes.
If you come from a FW fish background, keep in mind that SW holds less dissolved oxygen than FW and due to territorial issues with SW fish you just cant have as many fish as you could if it was a FW tank.
Not only is the oxygen and space an issue, waste in SW is more toxic than in FW unless the bilfiltration system is mature enough to handle the fish load.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
In my 46 I have had a few favorites like six line wrasse, pink streaked wrasse, neon goby, cherub angelfish (mine didn't touch my coral at all), banggai cardinalfish, blue eye cardinalfish, gold lined cardinalfish, ... ok that's all I can remember lol. You might be able to fit anotherfish or 2 in ur 50 as long as u have good oxygenation. I have 9 fish in my 46 right now such as 2 clownfish (who are breeding), 1 banggai cardinal, 1 royal gramma, 3 chromis, 1 pink streaked wrasse, and 1 green clown goby. And of ourse a cleaner shrimp but I don't really count that :) Just add slow and add fish according to temperament and u should be ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.