The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am preparing to pick up my new tank within the next week. So far it has the tank, hood, stand(the basics). I also have six 5" vho bulb set up. It has a wet/dry sump built in the stand. Its a 40 gallon set up with A skimmer attachement. I need to figure out what kind of skimmer to buy also powerheads and the stuff that I might need for a large tank. I am going to purchase IO salt for when I make the water and after that i'll take care of the rest. But can any one tell what else I should look into getting.

·
Registered
585 Posts
are you sure you want power heads in your new tank? Have you looked into either the Sea Swirls or SCWD (squid) LOL That's MY name,...seriously..

What size is the new tank?

I would sit back and consider all that I did with my first tank, and what I would change if I could...and it sounds like you have just that opportunity. I personally don't like the looks and risks of the power heads in the tank. I have 2 sea swirls and a scwd. The scwd give me 2 additional inlets for the water, and I can have them just a bit lower in the tan then the sea swirls. If you want the water return from the sxwd to be lower, then put check vales on them just in case of power outages.

Confused. You mentioned your sump has a skimmer..why would you purchase another, unless you don't like the skimmer that is in the sump set up.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I worded that incorrectly. I ment the attatchment is already there for the skimmer. So I only need to purchase the skimmer and no extra plumbing . The tank is 240gallon and is drilled from the bottom with a 2" hole where the weere is attached(not sure if thats spelled correctly) Actualy I don't like the way power heads look so I was wondering where I can get info on the sea swirls or the scwd. Also can any one tell me a good size pump to go with. I was looking at either an 1800 or 2200gph pump but am not sure if this will be enough.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O yeah will this lighting be sufficient for now or should I start looking for new lighting well I am looking for things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts