The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 8g BC. What other corals should I put in?? Right now it has the stock lighting, bu tI'm looking to upgrades of T5's or MH.

Current corals:
shrooms
Zoa's
Paly's
GSP
dying Xenia
candy cane's

I really like Kenya tree........ya think it will grow to fast and take over??
I'm also thinking of a really small brain....that can move into our 40g when it gets to big

What else.......I want more variety???

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
Brain corals are really cool, but ones like the green open brain I've found need to be shaded to do well,.. so unless you have a cave it can go under it may not be the best choice.

The closed brains have a tendancy to put off long sweepers and can probably reach every coral in your tank :(

I would be quicker to get a hammer or a frogspawn, they can have long sweepers too, but IME they are not nearly as likely to. I have a hammer, and frogspawn in my 10G.

There are many different types of candy cane,.. what about the spectacular neon green one?

Kenia tree would be a good choice,.. yeah it will propigate really quick,.. but you can just remove the branches that fall off.

Finger leather is another cool one,.. or Toad stool leather (especially the figi yellow, or green pyloped).

Whiskey

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have an 8g BC. What other corals should I put in?? Right now it has the stock lighting, bu tI'm looking to upgrades of T5's or MH.

Current corals:
shrooms
Zoa's
Paly's
GSP
dying Xenia
candy cane's

I really like Kenya tree........ya think it will grow to fast and take over??
I'm also thinking of a really small brain....that can move into our 40g when it gets to big

What else.......I want more variety???
Hey - I have a bunch of Kenya Tree frags - if you want I could try to ship you one if you want to pay for shipping? I saw some guy on another board that was shipping them for $15 I think... I've pm'ed him to see how to ship them...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey - I have a bunch of Kenya Tree frags - if you want I could try to ship you one if you want to pay for shipping? I saw some guy on another board that was shipping them for $15 I think... I've pm'ed him to see how to ship them...

Cool Thanks.......I'll let you know......I have the perfect spot for something like that.........but now that Whiskey's mentioned a toadstool.....i may do that.

I'll let you know

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
Cool Thanks.......I'll let you know......I have the perfect spot for something like that.........but now that Whiskey's mentioned a toadstool.....i may do that.

I'll let you know
I've already made my yearly trip to San Diego,.. but are you planning to be in AZ anytime? I'll send you home with a bunch of softies :agree: I have toadstool coming out my ears.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
How fast does a toad stool grow??? how do you trim it back???
It doesn't grow super fast, but I've had it for years,.. I think I bought it back in 2000 or something like that. It is the only coral that survived the 50G crash in mass.

I don't trim it back, but you can frag it that way if you want to. There is a really good pic of one of the frags in my 10G thread.

Whiskey

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks really cool.........it just may be the perfect addition to my tank. The Yellow leather may be the way to go as well.........it would give a new color to the tank. i have lots of green right now

We have some of those candy's in our 29g their starting to split, so in a few months I'm going to take some......they're WAY prettier than the ones I have :)

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
That looks really cool.........it just may be the perfect addition to my tank. The Yellow leather may be the way to go as well.........it would give a new color to the tank. i have lots of green right now

We have some of those candy's in our 29g their starting to split, so in a few months I'm going to take some......they're WAY prettier than the ones I have :)
Give it a couple years,. it'll get huge :) This one is about the size of a softball,.. I got it as one single head a few years gao.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
WOW......that coloring is awesome..........and that clam is beautiful and HUGE!!
Thanks! :)

Yeah it is huge,.. I finally had to get rid of it because it was just too big.
Since I'm already posting random pics here is me moving it to the new tank last year:

Whiskey

1 - 20 of 22 Posts