The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that staghorn and elkhorn coral are considered threatened species (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060506/ap_on_sc/coral_reefs_5), what effect do you foresee this will have on the hobby?

I'd also like to use this point to reiterate the importance of getting captive raised specimens for your aquarium. Although collection for hobbyists has a small impact on the reef system, at this point every little bit hurts!

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
captive raised seems to be the way to go.
only new reefers or people with no other reefers close by are buying most of the imports.......some new type corals that no one has in clubs are hot for a bit then everyone is giving away frags......with the coral farmers in the S.Pacific and the captive breaders in the USA, I think we should do away with all the harvesting of wild corals...JMO:fish:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized I'm probably preaching to the choir on this point:worm: but I really feel it needs to be made.

One of my favorite parts about the Maui Ocean Center is that they show how to frag corals. They use a very conservationist approach to what they do! If you're ever on Maui, I HIGHLY recommend a visit; well worth the $21. in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
its been a year, i miss the place.........the aquarium is great!

·
Banned
104 Posts
Interesting post, however, with recent evidence, I believe it is just doomsday preaching. At this years IMAC there was a great amount of physical, photographical, etc etc proof, that a healthy reef can return to 90% of its previous condition after a catastrophe, IE oil spills, hurricanes, bleaching events, and so forth, in about 5 years. Who should believe what?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, coral reefs are VERY capable of recovering from a disaster. However, with all the current pressure (oil spills, bleaching events, storms, etc.), the added stress of collecting (not just corals but fish, too, as harvesting techniques and loss of valuable species) may be just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Unfortunately, not many of the fish we like to keep in the hobby don't breed in captivity. I'm not totally against wild caught specimens, but would really like people to be aware that our oceans are NOT limitless and to be **** careful of what they buy and be **** sure they'll be able to provide the environment that will keep it alive.

·
Electrical G "EE" k
456 Posts
I agree Medicine Man...just because something is capable of recovering from devastations is not an adequate reason to subject it to such conditions. Sure coral reefs can recover from selective harvesting, but why mess with something in such delicate harmony when there are alternative options (aquacultured)?

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
Let's see...

Of the species of corals I've got in my tank:

2 are live rock survivors (Premium Aquatics LR)
4 are gifts from Mjsandbe
1 is from Duane
1 is from oyam
1 is from Jodi
1 is from scubadude
1 is from a reefer outside Roch
3-6 are from JNS (not sure if the zoanthids are different species or not)

I'm not aware that I have any wild-born specimins except LR survivors and maybe my ricordea floridas. Plus I've had several corals not make it over the years and they were all frags as well.

For me at least, I started firmly in the aquacultured department and never left. I think many new reefers who discover clubs will have a similar experience. I try to turn around and only give away frags to return the favors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts