The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some waving Xenia and lately it looks like it is being eaten by something. I do have a few blue legged hermit crabs but they have not been an issue in the past. My fish are reef save too (Yellow Tang, Purple Tank, Maroon Clowns, Chromes, and a Goby).

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure, I currently don't have a test kit. I do have other Xenia in my tank and they OK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do peppermint shrimp eat it?? My xenia dissapeared within a week of adding them so I am assuming they might.

·
Registered
43 Posts
what kind of "clean up crew" do you have? Example, I had a emerald crab for algae control. One evening I saw him munching on the base of my Xenia. He ate out a big chunk of two Xenia's stalks. "Kimberfish" mentioned above that chocolate chip stars will eat the Xenia. My guess is that you have a hungry critter on your custodial crew chomping on your Xenia during the night.

If you happen to experience a total "Melting" of all your Xenia, then there is a different problem.

If you suddenly see all your Xenia begin to melt, then you may want to check for an electrical current in the tank. I lost all my Xenia to this, but they all melted, not just one.

Good Luck.

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
New 16g BioCube Gen 3, April 2021... back at the habit!
445 Posts
I can concur that emerald crabs will eat bits of xenia, but not enough to destroy a whole stalk in one night or anything.
I've had a peppermint shrimp for a long time too, and never saw him do anything.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
My maroons mow down my xenia on a regular basis. I don't know why but they do. They also bit off the tenticles of the condy anemone I had before I gave it away. The xenia grows back usually.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Where there chunks missing? My Xenia is spreading but it looks like something is eating them i think its my yellow tang and seeing as you have one 2...........

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
Do peppermint shrimp eat it?? My xenia dissapeared within a week of adding them so I am assuming they might.
I have watched a single peppermint eat xenia polyps before. The other 2 did not, but it didn't matter, because the pajama cardinal ate all three within 2 months. I also found those same three peppermints completely wiped out all lingering aipstaisa that had moved into the tank with a rock from a fellow reefer before they died. I never saw them eat fish food, so I think they really liked to eat polyps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is a safe cleaner for my small 8 gallon tank. I feed my two pula clowns a half frozen shrimp. The clowns seem very uninterested in the shrimp..a lot of it goes to waste. I also have a pom pom xenia. Sounds like a cleaner shirmp...and a crab is not the way to go. Any suggestions

1 - 18 of 18 Posts