The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
LPS FREAK
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some bubble algea and some of it I can pick but some is stuck to the rock. What eats bubble algea? Or how do I treat it? Send some knowledge my way would guys thanks. Chad

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
mtfatwork said:
emeralds... and picking it just makes it worse.
That is kindof true.

Emeralds will not eat the big ones. So you have to pick off the larger ones. Yes, spores will be released into the water. But as they settle down and regrow, the emerald crabs will clean up.

Desjardini Salfin Tang and Fox Face will also eat bubble algae.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
What size tank is this ? Some Naso tangs, most rabbitfish will control them. Most of the fish choices do get big so must be a good sized tank.

Large or small tank, best to take the rock out srub it outside the tank, swish and rinse it real good in old tank water as the initial phase.

Next get try some emeralds and or the fish to keep under control.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Emeralds are supose to but my didn't,only had it on one peice so I plucked them off and put it back when done.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I thought or should I say I heard that Foxface's can pick at coral polyps from soft and LPS corals, is this true, or does anybody have any experience with this happening? Also is a Foxface suitable in a 75gallon or is it a little too small?

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Of the rabbitfish, my experience the Foxface seems to be the least effective in eating maco algae etc. There are a number of rabbitfish to choose from the virigate is probably one of the more common/favorite. If you get a small one it will probably do fine for several years but yes just about any rabbit will eventually outgrow a 75g.

If you wanting the fish to really help out with algae control, I personally would choose a rabbit over a tang any day. A real good maintenance fish in my book plus I really like them for the looks too....

·
Registered
264 Posts
my foxface does one thing, and one thing only, and that is eat algae until it can barely swim. whether it's him, or the sailfin, all I can say is there is no bubble algae anymore in my tank. I used to have a plague of it, but it's all gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts