The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for everyone. i have heard that when anemones die, they start to disintegrate into the tank, but how do you know if it is unhealthy before it dies. Normally the bubble tip in my tankis deflated looking in the morning, and then comes to life with the light, but right now he is deflated looking. like limp and his tips have gotten thin, not big and bulbous like they usually are. is this anything to be concerned about?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i also failed to mention that it looks like his mouth has inverted itself and is now all the way out, which i have never seen him do before. any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Well, it's so hard to crawl into the mind of an anemone. But, if I had to guess, I'd say this does not sound good.

How long have you had him? what are you feeding? and how often?

Does he look like he's just throwing up? Sometimes anemones will do that to clean themselves out.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Usually they don't turn inside out unless they are ill. Are you feeding him? Mine loves small peices of shrimp or silversides. He should not stay deflated for too long. Also they usually detach when they become ill. If he doesn't seem to improve you may want to take a container with holes in it so there is air flow thru it and put the anemone in it. This way if he does die it is easy and quick to get to. This also helps if you have something taking its food because it isolates him, reduces stress, and allow it to eat and regain strength. Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he seams to almost be trying to turn himself inside out by swallowing himself, if you can get that visual. i feed him half of a silverside once every week or so. do you think he might fare better in the refugium for now that way he doesnt have any challenge from the crabs trying to steal his food? the lighting in both tanks is the same as of right now, and the 55g will have the metal halide on saturday. i'm really hoping that he will survive until i can get him in there.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Do you have good flow in there? Most refugiums don't have flow in them that the anemone would need. A plastic strawberry container with holes would work good. He needs to be fed more than once a week with the lower lighting. You can also more the bta up higher in the tank using this method to get the extra lighting. Not sure if he will eat in that condition but could try, don't force it in him tho.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks jena. i would say that they fuge has enough flow to match the spot where he found himself in in the 55g. i am going to try that now and see how he handles it

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright so i put him in the fuge and alreadyhe is looking better than he was. he has since returned his mouth to normal lloking, and has widened his body back the way it should be. some of the tentacles still look thin and deflated but the most of them are looking good. i am going to see how wel he does in these conditions and hope he does well until i can get the light set up on saturday. if anything changes i'll let you guys know

thanks again

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Don't forget he's hungry! If he opens up enough see if he will eat. Extra food goes a long way when you don't have proper lighting. My pink haitian is at the top of the tank with 64 watt pc but get's fed every other day. He will also be going under mh as well as my purple LTA.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how do moms always know what your doing?????

i just came back to say that i just went and fed him, and he took it without haste. he immediatly started eating, and perked right up. i guess if i move him back to the 55g, i will have to figure out a way to feed him without any crabs or shrimp trying to steal the silverside out of his mouth.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
My BTA eats silversides about twice a week, I put it in his mouth using a long pair of tweezers. I've also used cooking chopsticks (very long, wooden) to feed him too. He snatches up the silversides, usually, without any issue from me, and I can tell when he's hungry because he looks deflated and not huge as usual.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
HHC

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys. he spent the night in the fuge, and this morning he was doing WONDERFUL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Uh oh?

So I introduced this anemone today

He moved while I was out and he open up nice

But this bottom swelling as I would call it doesn't look good

Something wrong?

Or is this ok?

Attachments

·
Banned
945 Posts
Something wrong?

Or is this ok?
Its pretty open, so I wouldn't be very worried.

This whole thread just made me smile; I love when im expecting a bad situation and go read the post only to find that its completely resolved!

I hope your NEM continues to do so well

·
Banned
945 Posts
Beautiful!

What is under it? Is that some sort of Montipora? Star Polyp? Make sure (If its a coral you like) that the anemone does not touch it, or the coral WILL shrivel and die!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts