The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK now that I have all these BTA's that nobody wants I was thinking about doing some more experimenting. I'd like to get some input.

I was thinking in two lines

First researching nem decline. I would set up a tank with two nems side by side. I'd give one nem my usual fare and the other nem stuff I think is suspect. If one gets decline and the other doesn't I have some evidence. If one gets sick and the gives the disease to the other I don't prove anything. I'm not sure how to work out this problem.

The second project would be a tank build using what I know about massive water changes to successfully get a nem into a new tank in a month. I'd give detailed directions.

What do you think? Any other suggestion?

· Registered
67 Posts
I think it is always a good thing to better understand a species the more information you can give someone who is struggling the better. Apparently to some people it is a conflict of values, most people would not want you to intentionally harm the NEM because it is a life, and other people could care less, well I think that as long as you are not purposely killing the creature the more you can understand the better. :)

· Registered
663 Posts
A lot of animals have died in the name of our hobby. We can not only keep, but also captively breed countless species because of the research done, and knowledge shared after the fact. I am all for the proper/ethical treatment of animals, and if you were intentionally hurting or killing one I am sure I would either get a strong comment or be banned by the mods for what I would be posting.... That being said, I am interested in the nem decline, because I have been able to find no data...not even other mentions of this "sickness" besides you. I am not saying it does not exist, I just have not found it. So an ethical and humane "experiment" would interests me. Pics and lots of info/details would be welcome. Also a "control" nem to try and best rule out other causes. Water params with numbers and how you tested for them would also be good info. Possibly starting both nems out with what e in the hobby know works, and then switching it. Just to make sure that there was not an unknown illness to begin with. Just some thoughts and suggestions....

P. S. I meant no disrespect about the intentional hurting nems comment. I was just using that as an example. My apologies if any offense was taken.

· Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That being said, I am interested in the nem decline, because I have been able to find no data...not even other mentions of this "sickness" besides you. I am not saying it does not exist, I just have not found it.
Actually I think nem decline is the most common problem people have with keeping anemones. I can undestand why you cannot find any reference to it. That is because no one thought to give it a name. OK here is what I posted about this anemone problem.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f326/what-is-nem-decline-190541.html

· Registered
715 Posts
The most common problems people have with keeping anemones is not starting off with a healthy one, and not giving them the proper conditions.

Anemones don't die from disease that you made up, they die because of improper collection/shipping, poor conditions and in fewer cases bad food.

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Because of what I percieve as misconceptions in nem feeding, I think your genetic clones offers you the opprotunity to do some small n experiments with say feeding or possibly light or flow. If you have clones then even a n of 2 can have some use in showing if silversides or more natural food shows better growth. Or maybe cleaned fish/inverts vs. whole bone/shell in fish/inverts in feeding. just an idea.

· Registered
663 Posts
Actually I think nem decline is the most common problem people have with keeping anemones. I can undestand why you cannot find any reference to it. That is because no one thought to give it a name. OK here is what I posted about this anemone problem.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f326/what-is-nem-decline-190541.html
I understand what you are saying. And I have no doubt that the nems decline, but I believe that there is an underlining that goes with it.

· Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand what you are saying. And I have no doubt that the nems decline, but I believe that there is an underlining that goes with it.
Exactly! What is the cause!
Now I've developed a system where I can keep my water parameters perfect all the time. I know and measure my light level regularly. Despite this I've lost 2 nems to decline. Both times the nems became sick after eating shrimp (ie small pieces of prawn). Since then I have not fed my nems anything like seafood and today I have too many nems.
This is not a controlled experiment but it is pretty incriminating.
My idea was to set up a pair of clones in a divided tank so that the conditions on both side of the tank are the same. Then feed one nem what I know is good and the other stuff that is suspicious.
If the nem that is fed suspicious food gets sick and the other does not, we have a suspect!
At least that is the general idea. I have to work out some details.

· Registered
663 Posts
Sounds good. I would def tag along. I think using two clones would be a good idea. Also what do you think about giving them time to settle in so we could rule out anything as far as a nem starting to decline before the experiment was started. Now you have a base model to measure from...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.