The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at petsmart last night helping my friend get kitten supplies, for the new (really cute) kitten she just adopted from the humans society. When at petsmart I wanted over to the fish stuff and I saw that they had Tahitian Moon sand. Its black and it made me start to think about using that in one of my other tanks just to see how it looks........ I was curious on how the fish and other pets I have in the tank would like this, or if it really wouldn't matter.

options? cautions? warnings? any input on this would be helpfull.

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
It's high in silica, but it won't dissolve into your tank water. The problem with black sand is that it gets dirty pretty quick and it's hard to keep clean.

·
Registered
134 Posts
From Premium Aquatics Website

Super fine pure black sand. This is not aragonite based. So this sand will not buffer your tank, but is saltwater safe and very attractive. So makes a nice choice if you do not need aragonite buffer support.

BTW - I have used "regular silica sand" in the past and I don't think the silica in the sand is made available for algae growth. There are probably others who disagree. One of the best arguments I heard pro silica sand had to do with the fact that the glass in our tanks is the same as that in the sand. I'm not sure what you meant by other tanks, but if I was setting a bunch of tanks up, I'd try it in one for sure - I think it looks really cool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts