The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wonder what people's thoughts were on the new Solaris LED light. Here's a link:

http://www.solarisled.com/

It sounds pretty unbelievable. It can simulate day, moonlight, cloud cover, sunset, and it's fully programable. It doesn't heat up the water. It's almost too good to be true. It makes me wish I had 3 grand just sitting around. They say it was made to replace Metal Halides.

Have any of you seen one of these up close?
So let's hear everyones opinions.

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
I don't trust anythign NEW to hit the market.... costs are too high and they have to work out all the 'bugs' that people find wrong with them.

I wouldn;t even consider a purchase until it had a 5yr track record and the cost to own one was under $500

...remember back in the 70's when TexasInstruments calculators were liek $100? now when you go to a convention you come home with abotu 12 different calculators as free gifts from marketing-people

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't buy one yet either. I say this because of the "bug" issues. Since it's run by a microprocessor, I'm willing to bet there will be some issues. However, it's a great idea and could possibly force Metal Halide manufacturers to reduce their prices. I don't see this fixture ever dropping below $500.00 though. Considering there are MH fixtures well over $500.00 on the market. That is, as long as this fixture lives up to what Solaris claims it will.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
It will be interesting to see. PFO is up in Vancouver and i have spoken with the developers about it. they have said that it is getting great growth and PE on the test tanks. I plan on going up there in the next month to see one in action. They have already sold out of the first and most of the second release of it so someone likes the idea.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
well this has the potential to be a really good alternative to the halides. The startup price seems to be a big reason why most people will have to wait though. I would love to see one in action but for now ill wait until it drops in price.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
They look like a great idea....but price coming way down and proven results will have to happen in order for these to take off!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was reading from the web site which states that the life of the LED's is 50,000 hours. That breaks down to about 5 1/2 years if the light runs 24 hours a day.

That seems incredible to me. That sure beats buying $60.00 bulbs every 6 months.

I did some figures. Keep in mind I'm no math expert.

My figures are based on lighting for 48" tank. I used prices from "Hello lights" and "Foster and Smith". This is based on the theory that the LEDs last 5 1/2 years before needing replaced. I wanted to see how much money you would spend on a MH/PC set-up in retro fit and in a fixture Vs. the LED system.

I hope I don't sound like I work for Solaris, because I don't. I'm just some guy in a small town.

I figure bulb replacement every 6 months for 5 1/2 years. Anyway, my crappy math skills came up with these figures:

1) Retro fit system with 250 Watt MH and 4 65 Watt PC =

2 MH retro kits = $332
48" PC retro kit = $200
MH bulbs = $1,430
PC bulbs = $1,100
------------------------------
Retro total = $3,062

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Outer Orbit MH/PC fixture with 2 150 watt MH and 4 65 watt PC =

fixture = $629
MH bulbs = $1,320
PC bulbs = $1,100
--------------------------
Orbit Total = $3,049

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Solaris LED light=

48" Solaris fixture = $2,325

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it.... That means (if I'm even right ) that in the course of 5 1/2 years you would actually save about $700.00 if you used the LED fixture. I wonder how much replacement LED's are.

Does anyone have an idea how much replacement LED's would be?

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
That all being said MH's, VHO and what not last longer than we use them, just the useable light for the corals is only so long thus we toss them sooner than when they actually burnout!

So is the 50,000 hours all useable??? Probably not as their spectrum will probably shift. I could be wrong.:confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was taken from the "Advanced Aquarist Online Magazine" article reviewing the LED fixture and written by Dana Riddle.

"An important selling point of LEDs is invariably that of lamp longevity. Philips maintains their white and blue Emitters have an expected life of 50,000 hours. The lamps are reportedly at 70% of original output at that point. If the daily photoperiod is 12 hours, then a 30% reduction in intensity could be expected in about 11 years."

I'm not trying to sell this thing, I just want to look at it from all angles. Keep the opinions coming. I can't decide if I should start saving money.

Here's the full review:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/8/review2

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Plus another thing to remeber is that these have very little addition of temp to the tank so a chiller may not be necassary if the LED's were bought.

I didn't need a chiller until I got MH's!:doh:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been pricing MH's for a while now. I'm currently running PC's and I just hate the fact that I'm limited by lighting. Then I came across these LED's.

Another thing with the LED's is that they use very little energy, so, you'd also save a bundle on your power bill.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
also keep in mind that most of us are only burning the light for 12hrs max per day so the usable time goes up. one problem is that when the light needs to be replaced you have to replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I was thinking about that, but it's pretty much the same with other fixtures. There's just a whole bunch more little lights to replace.

It's too bad they aren't about half the price. You could just buy a whole new unit every 6 years or so. :) I bet the savings in bulbs, electricity, added heat, timers, etc. would be enough to cover a new unit every few years if the price went down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As long as you could source replacement LED's it wouldn't be too hard. (If you're handy with a de-soldering wick and an iron) I do this kind of stuff for a living though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts