The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
49,124 Posts
Hmmm they seem to have mixed info
(quote) Sun Blaster Lighting florescent 100 watt light bulb.
This bulb is an all-purpose bulb for use in the garden, office, warehouse, or home environment where flicker free lighting is desired. The Sun Blaster Lighting lamp come in a RED Spectrum (2700K) or FULL Spectrum (6400K) . You DO NOT need a ballast to use this bulb, plug in and go. So whether you manage a commercial warehouse, are a plant hobbyist, or just a home user. Just think about the cost savings on your electric bills. Not to mention the fact that every light comes with a built in ballast, initial install ends up costing less than convention lighting. All Sun Blaster Lighting Bulbs have a life expectancy of 10,000 hours or more before the intensity will diminish.

$129.95 (unquote)
But then again looking at the focus of their business, thats not surprising. I wouldn't feel comfortable using a check or credit card there :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry doug, im not quite sure what you mean? 'bout the bulbs that is. would that spectrum be ok with actinic supplementation? anyone have anything negative to say about them?

ive seen one of the lfs using them over sps and anenomes, 2 on a 77 gal tank, but they sell them for $175 each!

don't forget the website is canadian, so its funny money we're talking here.

·
Administrator
49,124 Posts
but the bulb is offered in 2 diff color temps, ya want the 6000+ K . the ballast is built in like the 65watt Lights of America, so when it goes out ou replace whole expensive setup. Might make nice sump light.
Look at the odor filtration apparatus, they sell hydropronic dope stuff, thats why I wouldn't give them a check or CC. Police watch those vendors

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im thinking this may be an alternative, bright, very little heat... i just wanted to make sure that there wasnt anything terribly wrong with going that route before i did it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I really think you would be better off with standard one fold PC's or even better T5 VHO. The quad folds bounce alot of the light back into the bulb resulting in extreme poor efficiency. Standard PC bulbs are about half the price of those and T5 is more efficient Watt for Watt than standard T12 VHO with proper reflectors. Also on the proper ballast T5 bulbs will outlast any other bulb out there now cept maybe LED technology.
HTH,
Toy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah... i was trying to avoid the initial cost of purchasing a ballast. up hear an icecap runs $250. any idea how many watts of t5 would be necissary on a 3' 50 gal. it would just be for daylight since i already have a 4 tube no setup in my hood which i would use for actinics. i wonder what would be better, 2 - 3' vho at 95 watts a piece or 2 - 3' T5 HO at whatever wattage they're rated at?

any input is much appreciated,

brandon.

·
Registered
210 Posts
a 55W 46.5" T5 VHO with the proper ballast and parabolic reflector will actually drive about the same light as one 48" 110W T12 VHO without a true parabolic reflector. (true parabolic reflectors need approxamately 6X width of bulb to function correctly) the bulbs last almost twice as long on a program start ballast 20,000 hours or so the manufacturer says I have only had mine for 4 months so far.
Dual ballast for T5 (program start) $64.32
Reflectors: $20.04
Bulbs: $16.40 ea
these are USA prices however the company I quoted is in MN and I am sure we could work out the shipping somehow so you dont get screwed.
The DIY was very easy and all wires were color coded with an easy to read schematic on the ballast.
go browse here:
http://www.Aqualuxlighting.com
PM me if you need further help.
HTH,
Toy
I put two 55W T5 on my 55 and I love them, I use them for actinic supplimentation to my 400W MH

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.