The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm starting a new tank with a ultra fine sand bed, but not too deep (3" at the deepest) then should I introduce a detritivore kit?

If so, where do you recommend getting one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since I only have a couple of posts it won't let me insert a link, so I'll "spell" it out : take away the spaces

w w w . i p s f . c o m

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I looked at their kits. I didd't buy one and have most of the stuff in my tank anyway as hitchikers. IMHO, the best detritovores are bristleworms and copepods.... and just try to buy live rock and not end up with any of those.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at their kits. I didd't buy one and have most of the stuff in my tank anyway as hitchikers. IMHO, the best detritovores are bristleworms and copepods.... and just try to buy live rock and not end up with any of those.
I cooked my LR at 92degrees for 2 weeks after pressure washing, never noticed any worms coming out ever. As for Copepods, are they visible to the naked eye? How would I know I have them?

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
you will see the copepods in the tank usually you can see them @ night w/o the lights on...I usually see mine near my plates all the time

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I looked at their kits. I didd't buy one and have most of the stuff in my tank anyway as hitchikers.
+1. In all of my tanks, I have ended up with the same critters without having to pay for any of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i started with maybe 20 or so hitchhiker copepods and now theres probably in the 100s or 1000s in my tank. they were all riding a single snail i bought a while ago. so im gonna go out and say that if you get lucky with your purchases, and you have some detrivore hitchhikers, after a while theres no need to buy a detrivore kit.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Why would we want a "detritivore kit"? In a mature system, the population will level off, so there will be no reduction of nutrients because they're being incorporated into critter tissue. At this point, all the critters are doing is speeding up the process of turning detritus into fertilizer. We should be removing detritus. Not turning it into fertilizer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts