The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For plans of getting fish i want: 1 Kaudren's Cardinal, 1 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 bicolor blenny, and 1 Clown Goby.
I was also thinking about getting (liveaquaria says that it's easy to take care of and peaceful) a Pincushion Urchin aka Blue Tuxedo
I also want an Electric Blue Hermit Crab maybe 2 if i don't get the sea urchin or maybe a small hawaiian red Reef lobster

Corals I want are 1 (small) colony polyp, (small) 1 yellow colony polyp, 1 Green Fluorsecent Mushroom Coral. (small)

and then last but not least 1 small bulb anemone. later on when i get pretty good at this hobby and used to feeding and cleaning.

Do you guys think that it would be overstocked?most of the creatures are 3" max

·
Registered
401 Posts
I dont know the size of your tank, but the fish list sounds very workable as them all getting along especially if in a 20+gallon system. Me personally am hesitant to get urchins because they can nock stuff over, also, dont expect to have lush layers of coraline algae with them present ;)

This feeling also extends to the lobster, although he wont move throughout the tank like they will, but he does burrow and can be opportunistic feeders especially to a small fish like a gumdrop goby.This is a general warning though as Ive never had one or a few but can speak on the behavior of other lobsters and crabs in general.

- Justin

·
Registered
401 Posts
:thumbup: Even better.

Another note, being a new setup youll get much more use out of the hermits against the natural occurance of nuicant algae as you fine tune your system and understand its capabilities and limitations:)

If you can help it, remember to add your most active/aggressive fish last. This will give your cardinal and gumdrop time to clame there place in the tank.Then go for the bicolor and the clown for last.Wont necessarily make or break there success for survival, but can help make a smoother acclimation and transition to there no home and tankmates.

-Justin

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do u think that 2-3 kaudrens would be over kill? i really like them alot since they kinda remind me of sharks. but i also read that they fight with each other.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Itd be a tight fit with 3. But the still schooling of the fish is part of there appeal in my opinion. I would go with the 3 but drop the bicolor and keep the gumdrop and clown, or, drop the clown and keep the bicolor:)

Again, anything is possible, but I think this would allow more room to browse and swim with out bein on each others tail so to speak ;)

-Justin

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think you can get all 4 of your fish in the tank all at once. Specially since you will be paying for shipping and you do not want to pay that more than once. Save the money for other stuff.
The fish you mention should do well on your 29gal. None of them is extremly aggressive and they should get along. If introduced at the same time they will all compete for territories at the same time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geoff said:
what kind of lighting do you have on the tank? BTA can get pretty big, so it might take over the entire tank. they can grow very fast, so it would not take long for fish to not have any swimming room. :D

G~
im prolly gonna go with 1 24" 150watt Bulb Metal hallide w/fixture

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a 30 as well that Ive been working on. I had a big mix of corals in my 55, but all the softies were inhibiting some of the growth of my sps so I opted to turn a 30 into a softy/lps tank to segregate my corals a lil better. I am incredibly happy with the results. Im currently using a SE 175W 20K MH, and plan to use a single 24"T5 as well for supplementing and emulating dusk/dawn effects.Maybe this thread could help you a lil bit :)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=685584&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

-Justin

·
Registered
401 Posts
Depends on how hot your summers get and how cool you keep your house. I dont use a chiller but do have fan cooling the bulb that I have on the same timer circuit its also a retro setup so its open with plenty of ventilation. I keep the ac set at 78 and thats a big help too, I also have the lights come on at 6pm till 3am for evening viewing which happens to be the coolest time of the day.So theres a few ways around it,

-Justin

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Justin said:
Depends on how hot your summers get and how cool you keep your house. I dont use a chiller but do have fan cooling the bulb that I have on the same timer circuit its also a retro setup so its open with plenty of ventilation. I keep the ac set at 78 and thats a big help too, I also have the lights come on at 6pm till 3am for evening viewing which happens to be the coolest time of the day.So theres a few ways around it,

-Justin
yeah the ac is around the that temp during the day. and then we dont even use the ac during night time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts