Tags
skimmer
1K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  HD Fatboy® 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Read the listing. Just below the price section, it gives this information:

Brand: Odysea
Model: PS160 Dual Hang On Skimmer

If you do some googling, it gets mentioned with Jebo's and even confused with them at times. From reading/looking at the search results, the reviews seem to be about 10-1 against the skimmer as not being worth it.

The biggest strike against it, for me, is the gimmick sales approach to it. Free pump? Sheesh, most skimmers come with a pump. Free additives if I pay for the product with the price disguised as "S&H"? I guess they can only do it for the first 10 buyers since "they can't do this all year". Sorry, my apologies but the ad on Ebay reads like the script from a Billy Mays commerical or that new guy "follow me camera guy".

Leave it alone and find a decent skimmer. You will pay more for a good one but it will save you money in the long run by not having to replace something you bought while trying to save money.

#11 ·
Have you looked at used skimmers?

I also have a 75 with a 20g sump. I also didn't have much to spend on a skimmer, the live rock and all the other "start up" stuff really wiped out my tank fund. I was thinking "am I gonna buy an ebay cheapie or wait until I can afford an octopus?" Then I found a used aquaC urchin pro on ebay for 80.00 bucks. It had the overflow mod and a mag3 pump. I figured a decent used skimmer would be better than a worthless new skimmer. So far 5 months later I still pretty happy with it. I still only have 2 fish. I guess I will see the Urchins worth when I am fully stocked.

#17 ·
#21 ·
Mike , Just let it run ,. It will start foaming and start rising up the tube as the skimmer breaks things down . It also has to coat the inside of the tube .
Nice skimmer !!
Thanks alot!...just not use to this type of skimmer...awesome looking though....And big....fits in sump very nice....I have it set where it is making bubbles...real low in the tube...I will leave it at this setting

#24 ·
You can get the bubbles up higher . get them up within 1/2 inch or so from the top of the tube. You will see very quickly when it starts working where it should be . It kind of puffs .You will see . 24hrs or so but with your water you may see colors and foam sooner

#25 ·
You can get the bubbles up higher . get them up within 1/2 inch or so from the top of the tube. You will see very quickly when it starts working where it should be . It kind of puffs .You will see . 24hrs or so but with your water you may see colors and foam sooner
Thanks again!!...I will post my results on what I am doing and the results...

#26 ·
Hey Mike, Is that the pics of your skimmer in action in the gallery? If it is, I think I kinow your issue... it's in too deep if water, you need to raise her up a bit, You want the skimmer to be sitting in no more than 8-10" max of water depth....HTH

#28 ·
Thanks Tony. To raise it in the tank, do I just set it on top of something?, like a plactic box or something similar?. I just measures the water level in that section of my sump, it is 11"...so I need to put 3 0r 4" under it?....also I thought it was ok cause I can pull up on the water level adjust ment tube about 4 more inches.

#33 ·

simple DIY/// take off the adjustable riser tube. Measure the pipe that is sticking out of the skimmer to find out what size pipe you will need. It will be metric. Go to Lowes or HD and buy a Sanitary TEE fitting that is approximately the same size. it will likely not fit on the out let pipe so you will have to dremel the TEE a little (common due to the metric fittings on the Octopus skimmers)..make sure that you don't dremel it out too large, it needs to be a realllly snug fit ;) the rest is self explanatory.

Now for the gate valve. You can do one of two things, buy a high quality Spears valve for about $30-40 (like the one in the pic above)or go to http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=1
and buy one from there (like the one in the pic below). If your outlet is 1 1/4" equivalent, you will get a gray valve like this one:

otherwise you will get one that is white liek the kit on Marine Solutions (the above mod was for a Euroreef skimmer) but yours will be very similar minus the piece of pipe coming out of the bottom of the TEE when assembled)

#35 ·
Definitely don't do like that pick.. LOL, that really isn't 2 sections, that baffle is really only a bubble trap, there are a couple large holes drilled into the baffle at the bottom...so it really is only one large section :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.