The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
see your other thread. jsut answered this over there for ya, you dont use anything to remove ammonia, thats what the bacteria are for, which develop during the cycle.

edit: here is the answer i gave in the other thread:
remove ammonia... that's what the cycle is for. the ammonia is removed by the natural bacteria that grows in the tank..

short verison:

ammonia enters tank through fish waste, decaying food, etc..
bacteria grow which feed on the ammonia. they expel nitrIte as waste.
new bacteria grow which feed on the nitrIte. they expel nitrAte as waste.
new bacteria grow which feed on the nitrAte. they expel nirtrogen as waste.

this is why the cycle is so important, it gives ALL the bacteria a chance to develope. once they are there, the cycel is never ending. from ammonia to nitrogen. ammonia is ALWAYS introduced by fish waste, decaying food and what not, and feeds the cycle.

i'm not sure what the ammo rocks do to salt water. i just know that every one i have ever seen clearly says not for use on saltwater. which leads me to belive it has something to do with the salt.

perhaps the salt confuses the rock, and it doesnt absorbe the ammonia. or perhaps it also pulls the salt out of the water. not sure exaclty, i jsut know you dont do it.

i'll see if i can find anything about it for ya. in the meantime, i would simply pull them out, and do another water change, as you should do one daily for a while. normally you wouldnt do them daily, but since you added livestock so soon, i think it's gonna be necessary to save any other livestock.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Demp, most of us don't add anything, we use natural biological filtering which devlopes overtime. Right now you have to depend on water changes, be sure the water you are using has sat with a circulation pump for at least a day, more is better(2-3 days). Using new water to soon can also be very harmfull. Please do not put anything new in your tank till it's totally cycled and under control, you will be in for more losses. Take this time and ask more questions and READ, READ, READ. Find a couple good books on this hobby, and read. We all wish you well, and sucsess.:) We have all made mistakes we would be glad to share, in hopes of saving you from the same.

Bill

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys this has been a great experence for me, not only getting a reef setup, but being able to talk and learn so much from this group!!

CHEERS
DERM:beer:

·
Administrator
47,640 Posts
Sorry for the visual, its a common admin affliction, I spared the clinical details :D

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Doug,
In my profession medical opinion, an ethanol solution is often the preparation of choice. This solution may be malted or non, but fermentation is key to the desired effect.

Dermp,
Just keep doing water changes.

Danielle

·
Administrator
47,640 Posts
Danielle, theres not enough medicine to make it go away. While I am not a doctor I have seen them on tv, I concur with your rx, the problem is finding the effective dose without exceeding LD50, tho my research has never come close yet ;)

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Doug1 said:
Danielle, theres not enough medicine to make it go away. While I am not a doctor I have seen them on tv, I concur with your rx, the problem is finding the effective dose without exceeding LD50, tho my research has never come close yet ;)
I exceeded the recommended dose the other night for the first time in about 15 years. Now I remember why I don't do that anymore.

Could have been the fact that I didn't roll home til 5 AM either.... (don't worry - we walked home - we were partying 3 houses down the street!).

Thank GOD for the oxygen tank at the shop - or I wouldn't have made it through my work day on Sunday -- whoa that was ROUGH. If I were an employee I'd have to write me up :funny:

I'm getting too old for all that.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts