The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this from a local frag place that had it in a 10Gallon tank with some algae and pipe fish. I have no clue what sex nor species it is. I looked alot and think maybe Kuda?

reefchief (dot) us/sites/default/files/Seahorse001.jpg

take out the spaces around the (dot)

Thanks.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry

I don't have enough posts to add a link or picture yet so when I do I'll fix it, otherwise

You need to take out the (dot) and the spaces around it, and replace it with a period, when you paste it into your browser.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the assistance.

It's kinda hard to get the cam to focus in the tank to the right spot. :( I have other pics I just took if anyone is interested in helping, just let me know your email to send them to.

· Registered
16 Posts
it looks to me like a male and you could be right about it being a kuda or it could rainbow brumby. Have a look to see if it has a pouch if so a male females have ridges all the way down the front of the body males have ridges half way down then smooth out for the pouch. Hope this helps

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I dono everyone has a different opinion about what it is. And for those who need scientific names I thought it was a Hippocampus kuda, also known as the common seahorse, which is a member of the family Syngnathidae of the order Syngnathiformes.

I have been told by SeahorseSource though they think it's a Hippocampus erectus, also known as the Lined seahorse, which is a member of the family Syngnathidae of the order Hippocampinae. I dono it gets along with everything in the tank and is doing very well, it eats everything so it's all good. I have determined it's a boy though so I am looking for females now if anyone knows where I can ge some resonably priced.

· Registered
436 Posts
It is an erectus, southern variety.

Not sure it is a boy from that pic. Seahorsesource is a great place to find a reasonably priced mate.

HTH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.