The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a gift. It looked great in the tank for a while, but it seems to be withering. I was told on here the other day that I should feed it from time to time. I had no idea it needed spot fed since i've never had one before and like i said, it was given to me. Sooo, if anyone knows what to feed, and how to feed a plate coral, please let me know. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
1) go buy some frozen krill at your LFS...(which are like small baby shrimp)....

2) stop by your local pharmacy and ask for at the pharmacy-counter for a 5-10ml syringe (WITHOUT the needle)....buy one if need-be but most pharmacys will give your one.

3) once back home.....cut the end of the syringe OFF so that the opening is the same size as the shaft/tube.... and yes the plunger with 'pop' thru the syringe

4) chop/dice ALL the krill up so it is small enough pieces to fit in the Plate Coral's mouth (a small small small diced amount is a !MUST!.... if your diced-up pieces are larger than the mouth, it wont eat the krill).... take the small cut-up pieces and place in a tuperware container and store in your freezer.

5) go over the the tank and fill the syringe up with one-half of saltwater..... go back to the freezer and fill the rest of the syringe up with your diced krill.

6) leave the syringe out in room-temp for atleast 15min to let the krill un-freeze.

7) once feeding-time is ready, put finger over the syringe and submerse in the tank and place it as close to the Plate Coral's mouth as possible.... remove finger and SLOWLY/GENTLY push on the plunger to release the krill pieces so that the tentacles will grab hold.....SOME PIECE MAY START FLOATING TO THE TOP, JUST GRAB WITH FINGERS AND PLACE THE PIECES ON THE CORAL'S TENTACLES.

8) the coral should start GRABBING hold of the piecessith its tentacles....and the tentacles will naturally put the pieces down inside its mouth

9) feed like 1x a week.... maybe 2x if it starting growing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1) go to the LFS and buy CYCLO-PEZE... its comes in a RED foil package about the size and shape of a KINGSIZE Snickers candybar..... its RED phytoplankton that corals love to eat

2) find a clear 2liter plastic bottle and CUT in half.... throw away the bottom half and save the top half WITH the screw-on cap

3) with the cap removed.... submerge the 2liter into the tank and surround the Plate Coral with the 2liter (meaning the plate coral is inside the 2liter)

4) cut off aabout a 1/4inch of the Cyclo-peze and stuff it in the syringe you used ABOVE (in the other feeding technique)

5) put finger over the syringe...submerge the syringe...and put the syringe into the cap-opening of the 2liter bottle

6) push the plunger so the cyclo-peze releases inside the 2liter..

7) SCREW the cap on and let the plate coral FEED for abotu 1 hour or more

8) REMOVE / unscrew the cap before removing the 2liter (or you get terrible water suction....and remove the 2liter from the tank

GOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
except for the cyclopeze, I am good with the above advice. Gentle use of a turkey baster might be a bit less involved than altering the syringe. If you want to use the syringe method, ask your pharmacist for an oral dosing syringe in those states where syringes may only be acquired with a prescription. Take a photo ID with you and be prepared to show it in some states.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I also use a turkey baster with frozen krill that has been diluted in tank water. I only feed my plate coral once a week. I also just got mine a little over a week ago from a friend. It's doing great. I love it.
Got any pics of it?
As soon as I find the usb cable for my camer I'll show you mine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I feed my plate with the turkey baster and it works great! I also shut my pumps off so I wasn't fighting current.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Great feeding advice, every one - - I learned something! I love the liter bottle trick, that's awesome!

HHC

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Hardhead Cat said:
Great feeding advice, every one - - I learned something! I love the liter bottle trick, that's awesome!

HHC
Heh! The bottle trick is GREAT for target feeding filter feeders, especially for young clams, or sick or damaged ones where mantle surface area is insufficient for adequate autotrophic nutrition. This is ideal for feeding critters with suspension feedings, as it limits the food item to where it is most imiportant (to feed "the target" organism), while limiting its dispersal into the entire system (and the associated imported nutrient load issues).

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Petunia said:
I also use a turkey baster with frozen krill that has been diluted in tank water. I only feed my plate coral once a week. I also just got mine a little over a week ago from a friend. It's doing great. I love it.
Got any pics of it?
As soon as I find the usb cable for my camer I'll show you mine.
Yes, i have a pic, but he's not looking the greatest. I'll post it when I get home from work.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have some krill in the freezer so I'll give it a try with the baster tonight.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It worked! I put it directly in its mouth and it closed up around it. Hopefully he'll start to perk up a little now.

I put him in the 16 gal on the sand bed. This pic is when it was in the 46 and i moved it up to get more light to see if that would help.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts