The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Goby is still alive somehow although I have never seen him eat. I do target feed him by buring some frozen brine right by his burrow but the snails and hermits make quick work of it and I doubt anything is left once they are done. But anyways... I have never actually seen him eat so how is he still alive? I look at his stomach on the rare occasions that he is out and it does not look sunken in. I have decent amount of pods so could he just be living off of those? Maybe he just sifts through the sand when I never see him and gets anything the hermits and snails by chance don't get.

Another funny thing about him is this morning I thought he might actually be dead cause as I looked in his burrow I would not see his gills moving at all so I figured that was it and that he was dead. I stuck my hand down there to try and get him out from underneath the rock so I could remove him from the tank and he BIT me. Pretty hard to, felt like when one of these little Florida lizzards bites you. Then he swam off to his main burrow and then eventually went back to the alternate rock.

What do you guys think? Is he doing ok and just eating stuff that I don't know about? Or are his days numbered?

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Most gobies are plankton eaters... if he's not eating prepared foods he's probably eating amphipods and copepods that he's finding in your tank.

Did you see the fish eat in the LFS before you bought it? It's always a good idea to ask LFS staff to feed the fish before you buy it. That way you know it's eating, which is also an indicator of good health, you know what it's eating (flakes, frozen, pellets etc.) and if it happens to panic when you bring it home at least you know what it ate last and when.

Keep trying - if it's forraging on its own it should be fine and accept prepared foods eventually.

Knowing what specie of goby may be helpful in us suggesting other foods to try.

Jenn

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a blue spotted Goby, Tank is 60 gallon 48 long by 12 wide and 24 high, Have 56 lbs of live rock a DSB, Sump with skimmer in it in the bottom of the stand. Catch is my tank is only a few months old but all of the primary lvls are good, Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, are all 0 ph fluctuates between 8.1 and 8.2.

I did recently have an outbreak of cyano algae but its going sway now slowly. Just the other day I was thinking that I had alot of pods, It did not matter where I shined my flashlight I would see all kinds of pods scatter.

I read alot of past posts and people said that these guys will eventually come out but mine only comes out at night and the only time I see him is if I have to get up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break.

I did not see the Goby eat and I agree I do need to ask them to feed them before I pick them up from now on.

His body does not look any thinner than it did when I brought him home but I wouldn't say he looks fat either.

Here is a good pic of what he looks like.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I thought of getting a goby. I have a maroon clown and blue damsel(doesnt seem to be aggressive right now had him a couple of months) Would ya think it would be okay or are they hard to care for?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I can practically guarantee he is eating pods, so key here is keep an eye on the pod population. That starts to decline rapidly then you need to be concerned.

As to foods to try, with this scenario I recommend trying small chunks of worm or blender mush finely chopped and late at night (since that is his active time). Depending on how big he is, the brine may be too big for him, especially if he is a zooplanktivore that you got while still very small (good news here, as he gets bigger, he will be able to eat the brine shrimp then, just remember, vitamin soak them).

The finely chopped blender mush should really do the trick though, I have seen a lot of fish go into a feeding frenzy just from having it in the water.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he is actually close to the size in the picture, maybe even bigger,, Ironically I saw him take one byte of some floating food I put in there today, then he tried to eat one of my Nassurius snails. Once he figured the shell was too hard he went back to his rock and I have not seen him since.

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and make the blender mush and see how it goes. He is so cool looking I wish he would come out of his hole more often but I guess he likes his privacy.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
It would be great if you can make him a special food. I've had two dragon gobies starve to death and it's not fun - - they gradually waste away but since they are shy, it's hard to see until it's too late. Good luck! I finally learned to baby them a little when it comes to feeding - -

HHC

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Goby finally ate today!!, I have a royal gramma in there bout a week old and a Sing Angel about a week old and I was feeding them some frozen brine soaked in Garlic (dealing with some ich also I think) and sure enough the Goby came out of his cave and ate more of the brine than the Gramma did. Was amazing to me. 1st time I ever saw him do anything like that. Also he has no white spots on him at all so thats cool as well.

Sooo after 3 months I have 1 fish that I think is doing good!

The gramma is doing good but I worry bout the spots, they are minimal but there none the less. They do seem less since I started the Garlic feedings.

I'm just trying to keep my hands out of the tank now and am hoping for the best.

For the life of me I can't get that Sing Angel to eat though. I have tried blender mush, purple and green seaweed, live brine, frozen brine, and angel formula and nothing so far. the Angel also has a few white specks on it as well.

Hopefully soon I can move past this startup stage and start enjoying the tank.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Congrats, Mike! I have the same thing going on with my spikefin, and he just continues to get fatter, so I suspect he is eating pods. Regardless, I am going to follow Caoineag's suggestions concerning blender mush.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no kidding,, you have never seen him eat and he keeps getting bigger? man thats cool, got any pics of the spikefin? I'm not sure what kind of fish that is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts