·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the specs of my tank:
80gal glass tank (48"x18"x22")
40gal Wet/dry filter with Bio balls
Quiet one 4000 pump(900gph)
One power head that is rated at 642gph(rio 1700) and another rated at 400(aquaclear 70)
I also have a timer that I use as a wavemaker
Seaclone 150 skimmer thats in the Wet/dry
300wat metal halide(20k) from CoralLife

Here are my fish and inverts:
1 leather coral
2 zoo rock 1 peach and the other is green
1 green bubble tip anenome
1 small frag of xenia
1 large rock of pink and blue Mushrooms
1 red and black serpent star
1 sand sifting star
About 10-12 hermits
About 8 turbos
1 pink pincushin urchin
2 queen conch
1 cleaner wrasse

I was wondeing what I could do better? Like change the from a 20 k t0 a 15k and stuff like that. This is my first reef tank. I used to have a fish only. So any suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Bio-balls become a nitrate factory, I would not have them in a reef tank. Your live rock will do all the nitrification you need.

The seaclone skimmer is not very good (I had one), I would replace it with a ASM G2 or something like that and you will see a huge improvement in Water Quality, and be amazed at all the stuff that seaclone was missing.

I don't like 20K halides, because of their low par, but the above two problems should be fixed before this, I think water quality is more important than lighting.

Also, you could use a bit more flow, look into a couple of Seio 820's, they have a good bang for the buck, and they run off far lower power than your current power heads, while adding less heat to the tank.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
11,345 Posts
Sounds like you have a pretty good set up there....

How much rock do you have??

Based on your answer to that question.......

If you dont already have 80+ lbs of heatlhy live rock i would make it so and then get rid of that wet dry and the seaclone skimmer along with the nitrate factory bioballs.

The filter with the bio balls is absolutely unecessary and more of a negative addition to your system ......AS LONG as you have adequate live rock and flow through it

And that skimmer isnt the best to put it lightly

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info I have around 85lbs of rock. So consider the balls trashed
I will start looking for a new skimmer. I agree that the skimmer sux It dosn't produce enough micro bubles to get enough foam to the collection cup anymore. I have had it for quite awhile now.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Benny_B_B said:
Thanks for the info I have around 85lbs of rock. So consider the balls trashed
I will start looking for a new skimmer. I agree that the skimmer sux It dosn't produce enough micro bubles to get enough foam to the collection cup anymore. I have had it for quite awhile now.
Whatever skimmer you are looking at ask for opinions on it here before you buy, there are some good skimmers out there, but allot are trash with a fancy box.

We will be happy to help,
Whiskey

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
I can vouch for the ASM skimmers. They work great and are fairly affordable. It is also very easy to remove and clean the collection cup which is something lacking on a lot of other skimmers. Some seem to require a pipewrench to get apart. The best prices seem to be at ASMskimmer.com

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Wiskey said:
Bio-balls become a nitrate factory, I would not have them in a reef tank. Your live rock will do all the nitrification you need.

I respectfully disagree. That is a myth. When cleaned once in a while, along with proper tank husbandry and water changes, Bio balls are not going to be even a factor.

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
tashier said:
I can vouch for the ASM skimmers. They work great and are fairly affordable. It is also very easy to remove and clean the collection cup which is something lacking on a lot of other skimmers. Some seem to require a pipewrench to get apart. The best prices seem to be at ASMskimmer.com
ASMskimmer.com no longer sells ASM skimmers. They were selling them too cheap and ASM cut them off. That sux.:cry:

·
11,345 Posts
zxcv1213 said:
I respectfully disagree. That is a myth. When cleaned once in a while, along with proper tank husbandry and water changes, Bio balls are not going to be even a factor.
I agree.....IF you clean them every few days. Very few people do and even then IF you are among the few who can keep up on them, you are wasting your effort that could be better spent on something that will actually be beneficial to your tank, becasue bio balls, like other filter sponges intended to house beneficial bacteria, have no place in a healthy reef.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
zxcv123 said:

the fact that they catch detrius isnt the only reason they produce nitrates, its the trickle affect that they have in these filters, as the water trickles through them, it creates such a great enviroment for beneficial bacteria, that it breaks down all the waste too fast, causing nitrates. thats why if you replace the balls with live rock, you need to raise the water height so it isnt trickling through them. same with the bio wheels, its not so much the stuff they catch, but they break it down too efficently. im no scientist, this is what ive read before, so if someone can staighten me out, please feel free to edjucate me.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
I'm sure this isn't a complete answer but Nitrates are not the end of the nitrogen cycle, and the bacteria that convert nitrate to N are completely anaerobic and trickle filters and bio balls are exposed to air thus not allowing the nitrate to be converted.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
With the bio balls you have a great conversion to nitrates. The conversion stops there even if you have enough LR it will still be too slow of a process to get it converted to nitrogen with in the LR after it has been converted to nitrates with the bio balls. Since the bio balls are a better medium for the growth of the aerobic bacteria less will grow on the LR which in turns means less access for the anerobic bacteria to get to the nitrates.

With LR you get a better completion of the cycle because the bacteria in the LR converts it to nitrates and then will immidiatly be available for the anerobic bacteria to take care of it from there.

When you have bio balls your anerobic bacteria don't have as good of access to the nitrates so there will be less of the bacteria to process it making it take longer for the conversion to take place allowing the nitrates to build up over time.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
dobejazz said:
I'm sure this isn't a complete answer but Nitrates are not the end of the nitrogen cycle, and the bacteria that convert nitrate to N are completely anaerobic and trickle filters and bio balls are exposed to air thus not allowing the nitrate to be converted.

Thats y I keep half of my bio balls submerged.

The anerobic bateria convert nitrates to free nitrogen gas eventuall :thumbup:

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
zxcv123 said:
Thats y I keep half of my bio balls submerged.

The anerobic bateria convert nitrates to free nitrogen gas eventuall :thumbup:
That is possible on a very light bio load but it does not work on most (95%) tanks.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
zxcv123 said:
if you are cleaning them then why bother having them at all?

·
Registered
395 Posts
So i would be better off slowley taking the bio-balls out and replacing with LR and raising the level in the sump?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts