The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after the addition of my new halide, i feel that i can support some more corals/polyps and whatnot. what are some good, fast growing, and hardy corals that also still appeal to the eye? Its for a 125g with 410w of lights. and if anyone has frags for cheap let me know. the new additions will probably be for the middle of next month. i first have to make sure i get my levels straight after the addition of my new livestock tomorrow and the 45lbs of LR i just ordered. thanks for any suggestions

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
zooanthids. you can get them in just about any color you want and always catch your eyes.
ricordia/mushrooms.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol. do you ever sleep hick? i was thinkng about some ricordea, it looks pretty nice. im not having much luck with my yellow polyps though. my emerald crabs keep eating on it, not the polyps, but the mat in between them. and they keep knocking off polyps. any way to stop this other than ditching the crabs? it makes me leary to get any other polyps. the crabs dont mess with my brown polyps.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another quick question, i ordered pre-cured LR. but after reading up on it, the curing process still takes3-5 weeks. is this true? last time i got LR it was from a friend at the lfs and i just put it in the tank. maybe that caused the great spike of 08.lol

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
lol. do you ever sleep hick?
You aren't the only one that wonders if I ever sleep. Ironically, I have slept more in the last week than I did the previous two weeks. Normally, I average about 6 hours a night. The last week, it has been close to 10 hours a night.

i was thinkng about some ricordea, it looks pretty nice. im not having much luck with my yellow polyps though. my emerald crabs keep eating on it, not the polyps, but the mat in between them. and they keep knocking off polyps. any way to stop this other than ditching the crabs? it makes me leary to get any other polyps. the crabs dont mess with my brown polyps.
Not sure why they mess with your polyp mats. Is there any algae on the mat? Emerals are "reef safe" and it sounds like they are hungry, believe it or not. Try feeding them some algae wafers (or similar) and see if that gets them to leave the polyps alone. Or, try moving them somewhere else in the tank.

Ricordia are very nice, especially some of the odd colors you can get them in. The ones I have are orange, but there are some nice colored ones out there. If I had to choose between zooanthids/ricordia and an Emerald Crab, I would have crab for dinner (if it was big enough).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts