The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm plotting out the set up of my 55 and 125 and I'm wondering what coral types will grow on ABS and glass?

I'm pretty sure zoo's and GSP will, but what about like a paly or monti if a small frag is glued to the bottom of a BB tank?

·
Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
i've read that the corals that encrust will grow on the glass...the glass isn't very porous so it takes much longer to grow on the glass than something like plastic or rock.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
It's hard to get stony corals glued to the glass... they usually fall off before they start to encrust (either due to the breakdown of glue used, or something else). There are a few places that make magnets, which make it a lot easier. The magnets are coated with rubble/sand and make it very easy to glue frags to, then they'll grow over the magnet and start to encrust on glass. I've bought these before.

http://www.aqua-mags.com/

Superglue onto plastic usually holds fine, and you don't need the magnets.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Only an encrusting life form that produces an acid base and chemically self-manufactured adhesive can grow on glass such as algae/coralline.Other corals, etc, can attach but only by using these as a base.
Reason,glass isn't a solid object.It's actually a hard liquid.I knew when i did physics at school it would come in handy for something,lol.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the insight everyone! I'm going bare bottom for my tanks, what kind of plastic material can I use over the bottom that is light colored (for light reflection) like sand that would aid in coral attachment?

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Ive been thinkin about attaching some zoas to my turbo snails.....They are always out in the open....why not right? It would be cool to see a little cleaning coral running around.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive been thinkin about attaching some zoas to my turbo snails.....They are always out in the open....why not right? It would be cool to see a little cleaning coral running around.
LOL thats not a bad idea! I might give it a shot after the move.

Thanks for the link too, I'll pick up a sheet of that. Is it recommended to glue that to the bottom of the tank or just let it sit? I just don't want it to slide or something and topple over any rock...

·
Registered
376 Posts
thats a cool idea! let me know how it works out.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I may be moving in the next month or so.......so I will try to see if I can go ahead and do it. Trying to figure out what coral I want to put on there backs. haha. and I have to position it on there back so the coral doesnt get knocked around......or else that will kill the coral. Starboard just lays on the bottom. If your going to do it......your going to want to drill holes in it in a few places and put rods so your rocks dont slide around. Thats the safest way to do it. Because NOTHING and i mean NOTHING sticks to starboard. no glue will stick to the stuff. no epoxy.....And you can get it in sand color. Dunno if you saw that or not. Corraline will grow on it........but it will scrape off very easily.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Reason,glass isn't a solid object.It's actually a hard liquid.I knew when i did physics at school it would come in handy for something,lol.
It's called Colloidal Suspension ;)

Zoanthids, green star polyps, encrusting Gorgs.. basically anything that grows in a mat that encrusts will grow well. Once Stonies get a decent hold they will usually bond pretty well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts