The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this coral from scientificcoral.com at the Atlanta power buy in June. It is doing great and was trying to find out some more info on it. They called it a "Kenya Tree coral Capnella" But it doesn't look like the other ones that I have seen. NOw I haven't seen a lot of others so it might just be lighting or flow or something. Just throwing the question out there to you experts. What would you call this thing?

Chili.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Hmm It doesn't look what I bought as a capnella But then again neither has anything labeled a Kenya tree look like mine either

·
Registered
107 Posts
IMO there is no way that is a Kenya, I have had over 200 in my tank over the past several years and none ever looked like that.
It look like Xenya in that pic, can you get a larger and closer pic. It looks like there are many stalks on the rock? A Kenya has 1 stalk like a tree trunk and has many branches off of the main trunk.

·
11,345 Posts
i disagree.....im not saying it is.........but it very well could be. Ive seen kenya trees with more bush like appearances and some with longer sweepers.............none quite that long.....but that doesnt mean anything......

Leverage, do this..........take something to bug it......your hand, a long pair of tweezers or anything...dont hurt it of couorse...just bug it so it retracts enough that we can see the meat of the animal........and take a pic of it in the retracted state.........

THEN we can see what it is we are looking at...

;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
this is Capnella sp. or a Kenya Tree. what you have pictured doesnt look like one, it looks more like Xenia or Anthelia, but then its hard to tell what it is from that pic. any chance of getting a pic of the actual coral?

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
What does it look like with the polyps retracted?
they way it looks is somewhat my corkey finger looks like

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got home and turned the lights on.
The first shot is when I first turned on the lihts. DSC05459first.JPG

This one is after a got it to retract. DSC05461second.JPG

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Pics don't show up well on this pc. Pulsing xenia ball up tight when lights out. they will then get long when they open. Also you should notice the star looking tips pulse and will curl into little balls if you feed them.

Go to soft coral forum and look at show me your xenia thread. Lots of different kinds.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Those pull in a lot. It does look a little like my pink creeping Xenia though. I have a bad pic of it in my gallery, I am going to have to get a better one. I used to have it in an area of my tank that was getting a lot of flow...I moved it last week and it is much happier now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts