1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
I second that..looks like an aleveopora as well due to the shape of the polyps. That is an awesome shot to!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
notice the 12 tentacles for each polyp, one of the differentiators of Alveopora spp. from Goneopora spp., probably a white or tan-yellow specimen under actinics.

·
11,345 Posts
:( I just lost mine a few days ago

when i was out of town last week it somehow fell into my large hydro.

Actually thats not entirely true........LMB there in my avatar was ticked off he hadnt had any mysis in a couple of weeks......he kind of acts like hes king of the tank or something (he is)and knocks over anything i havent placed well if he hasnt had his mysis treat lately.......

RIP

Attachments

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so is this considered an sps, or lps? what are the requirements, and are they expensive? Whenever I see something new I want to learn about it!

·
11,345 Posts
Its an LPS i think but it looks and behaves a lot like an sps as far as skeleton and polyp extension. I never fed mine directly and it loved high light. It was flourishing and growing well up until it had that really bad day when i wasnt around.............

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
These corals are difficult to keep over time, a they seem to do well for four to six months, then gradually lose polyps off the skeleton until all you have is a golf-ball-dimpled piece of aragonite once the stored nutrition of the specimen is depleted. Do a few searches on some of the coral sites for more info on the keeping needs. These litle beauties come from low to moderate flow environments, often in grass beds with mottled medium to strong lighting where the nutrient levels may be more lagoonal than reef-top oligotropic. They pretty much have the same issues an Gonipora spp., and their sccess may ultimately depend on supplying some unknown nutritional, possibly based on type, size, or dissolved concentrations of some substance. I do not think it is a commensural issue, but it could be so at the bacteriological level. I dont think anybody really knows, and if they do, they certainly aren't talking about it...

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
thekid55 said:
i know goneoporas are like that but not these guys. they live alot longer.
The experiences of many other aquarists across the country differ from your experiences with Alveopora, and will generally depend on how long the specimen in question has been in captivity. There are a few success stories, but for the most part I would challenge you to find a specimen that is older than 12 months as a captive coral.

Personally, I feel this genera and most Goni's should be left in the Ocean rather than be the targets of collection for experiments in captivity.

Maybe it would be good for you to post a poll requesting aquarists' experiences with these corals and photos of their growth over time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts