The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to TRT - just joined this evening. I've had salt FOWLR tanks for the last 20+ years and about a year ago wanted to really give a reef a try. Picked up a 6 bulb Tec light (T-5's) for my 55. I've got some corals growning and some fish but I've fallen for Clam's but shy about bringing one home to meet the family.

I've got some sandy areas, some rocky areas and great water params. What do you suggest I could start out with and eventually grow into with what I've got? I want it to be really easy on the clam so I'm not looking to push the curve but I'd really like to have all types....

What else do you need to know?

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Welcome to TRT! :wavey:

Read through this thread.

T5's can support clams but it's based on the quality of reflectors in the unit. If each bulb has an individual reflector curved around it (either in a parabolic or circular curve) you should be fine for maximas and croceas. Someone may pop in and comment on your specific light.

Give 'em lots of light and lower relative flow and they'll do fine. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Yes I read the FAQ before I asked the question but I still had that question. My lights are individually reflected and kept clean. It's 18" from the top of the water to the sand and 6" from the lights to the water (adjustable). Is there any indicator that would let one know how clams would do? Like if you have a ## coral doing fine then these clams would also do fine.

thanks

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I think you will be fine with the light you have. Go get one and give it a shot. Give it a decent acclimation by the drip method and add it to the tank. I keep both my Crocea and Maxima on the rock in my tank. Welcome to TRT btw!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, by the recommindations above I could go with a maxima then, as long as everything else is right, I should have the lighting for any clam. GREAT. Now to watch my params closely for awhile and make sure I am ready then off to the LCS (local clam store). Not sure which one I want - I'm sure it will kind of be like college and walking into the cafateria looking for a date - not sure what you're looking for but you'll know it when you see it....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I finally got my clam - ended up with a maxima, my LFS had a problem getting anything in over Christmas. He's been in the tank for over a week and doing just fine. No, one has bothered him, I'm not even sure anyone has done more than glance at him. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Color now that is a good question. The background is a deep purple almost brown with LOTS of bright blue dots almost covering the background.
Right now he is on a rock but in the sand - I wanted him attached before I started moving him around, didn't want to have him dammaged falling in a crack between two rocks. I've got some snails and hermits that seem to like to bully their way from point A to point B.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts