The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, I have 4 different tank options, and I'm thinking about an inverts only tank.

Here are my four options: 2.5 gallons, 5 gallons, 10 gallons, 20 gallons

What would you suggest putting in each one? What kind of filtration or special equipment would you suggest? Is it possible to get fish in them? What?

This is what I am thinking for each tank:
2.5: Don't know what I could put in it
5: Don't know what I could put in it
10: 1 Firefish, snails, hermit crabs, coral banded shrimp, 2 spot goby
20: 2 Firefish, snails, hermit crabs, coral banded shrimp, 2 spot goby, small anemone that will stay small / replace firefish with clown fish

What do you think?

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
I'd suggest going as big as you can. It will make the tank more stable with regard to changes that all new tanks go through. These changes can be really tricky to manage. In the 2.5 and 5, you could do crabs, snails and shrimp and thats about your limit. You can have fish in the 10 and 20, but you are limited. You seem to know this, because of your choice of firefish. I think that getting more than 1 clown in the 20 would be pushing it, but is probably doable, though I wouldn't recommend it. I think that with tanks this small, you don't really need any equipment other than a small powerhead, lighting, and a heater (and live rock, of course).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and yeah, I completely understand that the smaller the tank the more work I have to do maintaining it, but I do already maintain a 20 and a 2.5 in freshwater, and we have a 90 gallon reef. Also, the size of my room (where I would put the tank) is a bit small.

I think the biggest I can go is a 36, and that's a huge maybe.

If I went with a 5, and put snails, crabs, and shrimp, how often do you think I would have to do water changes?

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
Smaller, more frequent water changes are better for smaller tanks, as there will be less fluctuation and therefore less stress on the tank's inhabitants. I think 1 gallon a week would be a good schedule to be on. I don't think it would be too much of a chore either, since it is such a small amount.

With the 2.5, the smallest shrimp I know is the sexy shrimp, they don't get much more than an inch or two. I'm really not an invert expert, so you might want to get another opinion on actual stocking.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't want to stock it with just one fish, I would rather it have a bit more activity. Like, I wouldn't want to just have 2 firefish and a two spot goby, I would rather have 5+ fish.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
5 fish is too many for a twenty. Even small gobies can get territorial if you cram a bunch of them together. You could go with a small pair of ocellaris clowns, they're active. And maybe a bottom dwelling goby, one paired with a pistol. Not very "active" though. And that's not much different from your original idea of two fire fish and a two spot...

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Then you know not to take stocking advice from them. :p I have an LFS that does the same thing. They go more for the "Ohh that's pretty"factor to make a sale than actually caring about whether the fish are happy like that. Plus its nothing for them to replace them as they die. Not to mention they're able to do constant maintenance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, they have that tank set up with live rock and coral as the display. They would hardly be able to get the fish out of there, plus, there's always the same four.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No, they have that tank set up with live rock and coral as the display. They would hardly be able to get the fish out of there, plus, there's always the same four.
My lfs has a 5 gallon bio cube (display tank) with 2 Ocellaris clowns, a bubble tip anemone, a red thorny starfish, 5 Cerith snails, 5 nassarius snails, 3 scarlet hermits, 5 red tip hermits, a bicolor dotty back, and a diamond goby

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
My lfs has a 5 gallon bio cube (display tank) with 2 Ocellaris clowns, a bubble tip anemone, a red thorny starfish, 5 Cerith snails, 5 nassarius snails, 3 scarlet hermits, 5 red tip hermits, a bicolor dotty back, and a diamond goby
That's just cruel. They'd be getting an earful from me. And their owner would be getting an angry letter. :angry:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts