The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 month old 12gallon tank ~10-12 lbs LR Powercompact 32W lighting, small rock with colony polyps, and a small rock with purple mushrooms.

1 False perc
2 green chromis (willing to remove)
~20 assorted snails and hermits

I will be keeping very few corals (probably only polyps and shrooms) and would like to have as many small fish as possible. Fish i have been looking at are
sixline wrasse
small gobys or blemmis

I dont want to overcrowd, so can you suggest fish, or ways to make my tank handle more fish?

Attachments

G

·
you are deffinetly at the max if not over it now..... why is it you want more fish....imo get a bunch of zoanthids... gsp...mushrooms...and ric....youll have a real nice tank....but if that doesnt work take out the cromis and add 2 firefish...this way you have more color for the fish...however i like my first idea better

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If you want to add more fish get a really good protien skimmer.

I'm sure someone on here could recommend one that would work for you.

I am planning on no fish in my Nano and no skimmer either. Way to much complication for a Nano. If I want complication I just take a quick walk into my fish closet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am considering making a sump/refugium setup to add a skimmer, and to help me control water temp. My thinking, More water in system, slower water can change temp. If i make these with large quantities of water 10/20g would that help w/ the bioload?
I am very new, and have been taking in so much info on these topics, i dont know what will help a tank, and what is a waste of time and money.
What is the bioload? I mean is it just the waste from more fish or is it something more complicated.
I got this tank cheap from a friend, and plan to set up a 55-75g when I get some money-i am just trying to learn the basics now

G

·
then dont add anymore fish imo....the first rule to this hobby is patience....see how this tank does as it sits...when you have the funds to setting up a bigger tank worrry about more fish then

·
Registered
384 Posts
remove the chromis, add another false perc and a goby or bicolor blenny, a 6 line wrasse is far too active and needs more room to swim around, I would say that about any wrasse, and if you get a blenny, check on it's size, some get big (lawnmower) some stay small (bicolor)

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Here is what Justin did with his 10 gal nano. (my nano is currently fishless).

He added a 20 gal sump and refugium and is skimming his tank.

He researched and went with fish that stay smaller than 2 -3 inches. Here is his list.

1. Red Headed Goby
2. Neon Goby
3. Clown Goby
4. Rainsford Goby
5. Yashi goby
6. Bicolor Pseudochromis
7. Orchid or purple pseudochromis
8. Catalina Goby (Caution, they like cool water setups)
9. Cling Fish
10. Wheeler's Goby,
11. Bumblebee goby.

Kinda researched what he wanted and in the end went with red headed gobies and neons. (mostly due to availablity and cost.) but He could probably ordered what ever he wanted. He doesn't care for overly large fish and likes the look of small fish darting around his nano, making it look alive.

Ray

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
Bioload is not a word in the dictionary. It is short for biological load. In my understanding it is how much stress is being put on your aquarium live support system. Basically your water volume combined with all forms of filtration dictate how much life can be supported by your system. There are other very important factors to consider such as the size and habits of what you are adding. Tangs for example need a lot of swimming room to truly be happy and healthy. Remember you should want your aquarium and everything in it to thrive not just survive. Overloading your system with a high bioload can lead to stress on the inhabitants with can result in disease and death. Once this begins it can be a downward spiral where one death can crash your whole system and lead to the death of everything in the tank.

I hope this helps some, that is a nice looking little tank you have there.

Main Entry: biological
Variant(s): also biologic
Function: adjective
Date: 1859
1 : of or relating to biology or to life and living processes
2 : used in or produced by applied biology
3 : related by direct genetic relationship rather than by adoption or marriage <biological parents>

Main Entry: load
Pronunciation: 'lOd
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English lod, from Old English lAd support, carrying -- more at LODE
Date: 12th century
1 a : the quantity that can be carried at one time by a specified means; especially : a measured quantity of a commodity fixed for each type of carrier -- often used in combination <a boatload of tourists> b : whatever is put on a person or pack animal to be carried : PACK c : whatever is put in a ship or vehicle or airplane for conveyance : CARGO; especially : a quantity of material assembled or packed as a shipping unit
2 a : a mass or weight supported by something <branches bent low by their load of fruit> b : the forces to which a structure is subjected due to superposed weight or to wind pressure on the vertical surfaces; broadly : the forces to which a given object is subjected
3 a : something that weighs down the mind or spirits <took a load off her mind> b : a burdensome or laborious responsibility <always carried his share of the load>
4 slang : an intoxicating amount of liquor drunk
5 : a large quantity : LOT -- usually used in plural
6 a : a charge for a firearm b : the quantity of material loaded into a device at one time
7 : external resistance overcome by a machine or prime mover
8 a : power output (as of a power plant) or power consumption (as by a device) b : a device to which power is delivered
9 a (1) : the amount of work that a person carries or is expected to carry (2) : the amount of authorized work to be performed by a machine, a group, a department, or a factory b : the demand on the operating resources of a system (as a telephone exchange or a refrigerating apparatus)
10 slang : EYEFUL -- used in the phrase get a load of
11 : an amount added (as to the price of a security or the net premium in insurance) to represent selling expense and profit to the distributor
12 : the decrease in capacity for survival of the average individual in a population due to the presence of deleterious genes in the gene pool <the mutational load is the genetic load caused by mutation>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dont worry, i have been doing a nano tank, for a couple of years now, and i hate it when people used to tell me about bio load, and that i wouldn't be able to do it. You definetly can do it, as long as u stay on top of your water changes, and monitor your tank very well. The only way to find out for sure is to experiment. Take out the cromis and put the wrasse in, see what happens. If the fish looked stressed just remove the wrasse, and then you would know for sure if it would work. I kow it works, because i have a 6 line wrasse in my tank along with a true percula clown, and they get along very well. They swim together and everything. They are like the best of friends, and they both havent shown any signs of stress. The fish shouldnt grow to large, because of the size of your tank. Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts