The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old Kodak DC290. Its a 2 megapixel, takes great pictures, but not so good close ups as there's no manual focus. :) I was just browsing digital cameras and I was wondering what cameras ya'll have. The coolest picture I've ever taken with my camera wasn't even reef related, but it sure was fun. Action pictures come out really well on my camera, but I'd assume I could get the same from basically any camera. Anyhow, I look forward to seeing your replies...

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
i have a nikon coolpix 4300, which seems to do well on macro settings through glass. i still am only taking shots on automatic, and i know i can do a lot better once i learn how to use some of the manual settings, but i have been very pleased with it. retail on it at bestbuy is about 450, i have seen them on ebay for around 350. hope that helps.

oh and here is the pic i sent you a pm about, may as well post it here.

Attachments

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Jeff

Have you thought about getting an extra lens for it? A macro or close up. Might be better than a new camera. We just got a Canon ????shot A70 3.2 mp's for $300

The coolpix's are good, the 4300 in fact I was playing with it at the store. You can do macro's right out of the box - but we are on a budget and even the Canon was a little spendy.

Checkout http://www.dpreview.com/ and http://www.dpreview.com/ hopefully this will help.
Several things to consider, batteries and more memory. The nikon use a priorarity type battery hence more $$. Other cameras use the AA and if you get the nimh's with and extra set all charged up and ready to go, you will always be ready. Some cameras you can just hook up to a wall outlet and take pictures, saving the batteries,of course this would be inside. The battery issue is when you are away on vacation or out and about and just want to take pictures.

Most cameras come with inadaquate memory, 16meg's will not hold much, pr of 64meg"s fc or 128meg's

Another item to consider would be a flash card reader. Just take it out of the camera and the pc can read it. If you hook up the camera to the pc, it will drain the batteries in the camera

sorry for a long reply

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
aye i bought a second battery, and keep it charged up. i also got a 128 meg memory card, and had the option of a larger one, but i did not feel it necessary.

the newer cameras you can do a lot to save battery life, the nikon for instance you can turn off the color display and just use the old fashion view finder to save power.

i have not run the camera dry yet, but i get a low battery sign after about 25 pics at the highest resolution, using a flash, with the display on. it works a little harder to save and what not because at highest resolution the pics can be 15 or so megs each.

and i find the card reader indespensable.

the nice thing about best buy, is if you buy the warranty on a camera, you get free cleanings, and free battery replacements when they start to lose maximum charge. as a new battery was 60 bucks, and the warranty was another 60, i figure if i wear out one battery in 4 years the warranty will pay for its self.

if i get to the meeting i will bring along the camera maybe so you can play with it. if you can not get a new lense for yours, and 450 or so is out of your range, you might look at the 3 megapixel variety, which is similar enough to mine you could get a feel for it by playing around with the 4 mp model.

·
Waves Marine & Reef
1,733 Posts
I have a Nikon coolpix 990. You can check out some of my shots at www.aquariumadvice.com there is a section in the gallery, my name is liquidfunk on there.

Being a jeweler I was focused on macro ability. this camera is a GOD at macro shots. with the ability to focus at 1/4 inch, it is rules all cameras I have seen for macro. Ask any jeweler who uses digital, I bet its the 990 :)

joel

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
even better!

i think i paid like 65 for my cf card at bestbuy, and that was for a 128.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts