The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your freshwater tanks? Right now I have 3 of them. The first only has my old betta in it at the moment. When the tank gets a bit more settled(just moved it, and I'm not sure how its new spot is going to effect it, it had enough natural light to keep my anarchris alive before, now it is getting more light. Gonna see what happens) I'll probably add some feeder guppies or some neons to it. Along with some catfish. Likely ottos since I have the feeling it'll get a good bit of algae in it.

Tank #2 is the 20 gal. with issues. I gave it a sand bottom, then, being the idiot I am, looked at all of the grit floating around in it, switched media, still saw the "dirt(aka amonia, was NOT thinking:doh:) and so I completely changed filters... THAT one broke down, I tried the old one, which suddenly crapped out on me, then after a few hours could get to a store and get another..... Wow.... So now that tank is cycling over again... And I feel really dumb. That one has a small school of cories, 3 plecs(bristlenose, rubbernose and a clown who hides more than anything I've ever seen before) 3 kuhli loaches, 2 danios, a couple of rasboras(not originally 2 of each, just random ones which died in the re-cycle) a few platies, including some nice fry which are growing well. Very pretty spotted ladies. 4 tetras and a betta. Plus tons of sand sifting trumpet snails, a few ghost shrimp, a couple of java ferns, some dwarf sword and a bit of cabomba. Nice looking tank.

The big one: My 60 gal. Has a penguin 350 and a rena xp3 on it, equaling 11 2/3 water turnover rate, which is much more than I need :D For my Oscar all I needed was 5X the turnover rate with my canister. Oh well, more never hurts. Anywho, I've got a 5" red tiger oscar in there, 3 medium sized silver dollars, 1 albino senegal bichir, and a "common" pleco. I know it is overstocked, but it is also quite well cared for, and since Brian(the Oscar) is my baby I watch it like a hawk to make sure everything is okay. I have no clue what sort of pleco I have. Even the folks at Planet Catfish are stumped on it. I'm thinking he is a variety that will stay small enough for my tank, if not I'm going to take him to one of the lfs in town and get a bit of credit towards one that Will stay that small.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Tonight I will begin transferring fish to my 125 saltwater and then I will be draining the 55 and turning it into a planted tank

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
We need pics!!!!

My big FW tank is a planted 180:

I also have a 10G tank. The 10G is setup exactally by Diana Walsted's book.

The 180 is setup loosly by Diana Walsted's book, but it does use CO2. It has a Magnum 350, and a fluval 204 running though the overflow box, and is lit by 6*55W PC lights, most bulbs are about 2+ years old :rolleyes: but they are in AH supply reflectors and seem to do the job. This tank get's a 50% water change about weekly, but sometimes I skip a week, and this is done Via a drain hole (just run a hose out side and drain), I then hook it up to my focet and fill it straight back up again making the process very simple.

Whiskey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts