The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Im pretty sure that that is aiptasia, but someone will have to chime in to make sure im correct. I think I heard most people saying that you can squirt it or inject it(not sure which, never done it before) with joes juice. Which you can get at most LFS's. There are other ways to, but I cant remember them.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Get rid of it ASAP!! you can inject it with Kalk paste for an inexpensive cure......Whatever you do kill it, unless it's the only thing you want in that tank.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I just had to get rid of some (really, it was A LOT!) on some live rock that I just bought. I used the kalk paste, and most of them are gone. I just have a few to get rid of.
I took all of my new rock out and put them into a bin with saltwater in it. Injected kalk paste into the aptasia (which took me forever, since there were so many), let the rock sit in the bin of saltwater for a few hours, then put it all back into my tank.
Good luck. They are a real big pest. I am planning on getting a few peppermint shrimp to keep my live rock clear of them. Peppermint shrimp are wonderful for this.

·
Super Moderator
26,851 Posts
Dave- If you only have a few aiptasia on your LR now, I would go the kalk paste route, and wait on adding the pepps. I can't remember. How long have you had your tank up? What else is in your tank?

From what I've read from folks here, pepps either love the aiptasia, or they are picky eaters and they don't.

Let's see what others say before you go out and buy your first critters.

·
Registered
456 Posts
cath said:
Dave- If you only have a few aiptasia on your LR now, I would go the kalk paste route, and wait on adding the pepps. I can't remember. How long have you had your tank up? What else is in your tank?

From what I've read from folks here, pepps either love the aiptasia, or they are picky eaters and they don't.

Let's see what others say before you go out and buy your first critters.
The tank was an establised tank that was running for years. I bought it and moved it on Thursday of last week. I put new LS in and a about 50% new RO/SW.

Last time I was at the LFS - I had my water tested...

Nitrites 0
Nitrates .10
Ammonia 0
Alk 200
PH 8.3

Dave

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
steve-o, you have a problem, that stuff is taking over, you need to get on it asap!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did have pep shrimp in the past, but it died a while ago and these started popping up. It makes sence that the shrimp were eating them. Are they too large for shrimp to eat them now or should I clean each rock and put them back.

If thats the case, whats the best way to clean the rock. You may have noticed that there is some red hair algae there too. I can take care of all at the same time.

Many of you suggested kalk paste. Is that something you add to the water or directly to the aiptasia? I would rather not disasemble the tank to do this, but will if needed.

Thanks to all for the help.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Steve-O - you won't need to disassemble the tank... depending on where the aptasia are. you mix the kalk with some hot water till it is a paste consistency, then suck it up into a syringe and directly squirt it into the mouth of each aptasia. (the kalk paste won't hurt you water parameters-like some other things used to kill aptasia would)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
dobbs - it depends on how big the aptasia are that you have. the peppermint shrimp won't eat big ones. you may have to go the kalk mix route first then get a peppermint shrimp.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Steve, as you have a SUBSTANTIAL population of these glass anemones...

...You will want to remove the rock from your tank and nuke it in a tupperware container with the kalkpaste. Leave it in this container for 12 hours while the Aiptasia spp. die, then rinse the rock with clean ASW and replace the rock in your display. Do this with all the rock you can remove from the tank, then attack the remaining ones while still in your display. THEN buy some Peppermints.

The biggest issue I see with Peppermints not eating Aiptasia spp. is that either the shrimps are not true Peppermints, or that the tank is overfed. True Peppermints in the sense of ones that will eat Aiptasia spp are Lysmata wurdermanii, but occasionally, the camelback shrimps are sold instead. These are Rhynchocinetes uritai, and although they are an attractive creature with a bright red and white carapace with a noticable hump just past their thorax (hence their name), they do not eat cnidarians. Even the true Pepps will not eat the Aiptasia when they are not hungry (and they can get an easy meal elsewhere... :rolleyes: ). If you have a tank schedule where there is heavy feeding, your poulations of Aiptasia will grow accordingly. The shrimps will probably not eat the Aiptasia, so a rollback on the feeding is in order. Feeding every three days (unless you have high activity feeders that require multifeedings daily, PM me on your fish pops) just enough to see the fish clean up everything in 5 minutes will be sufficient for most fishes in aquariums. Most fish find multiple sources of nutrition in the tank anyway, and I imagine that your system is nutrient-rich with many copapods and a fine growth of microalgae to be able to support this kind of Aiptasia population, so your fishes won't starve.

Kalk what you can outside the tank, kalk the rest in-system, get a pair of Peppermints, and cut back on the feeding. This will, over a few weeks, resolve the issue with the Aiptasia.

HTH

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far I have spent the last few hours cleaning, scubbing and reseting the rock. About 95% of them are gone. The water is still a little cloudy but clearing fast. I tried calling my LFS, but none are open today.

I will be buying a pair of pep shrimp tomorrow to try and get this back under control.

http://www.thereeftank.com/photopost/data/500/7861100_3153-med.jpg

TDWyatt, you mentioned feeding, with the 3 small fish I have, I give them a 1/3 cube of frozen mysis shrimp twice per day. They eat all of that in 2-3 minutes. Not much gets past them. Do you think I still should cut my feedings back?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts