The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woah is this a hitch hiker or what? When we did a water change on the top of the water we siphoned out there were these little squirmy little mosquito larvae-like things. There were also clear carcasses of them that were about a 1/4 of an inch long and looked like shrimp. WHAT IN THE WORLD???

·
Registered
189 Posts
in cracks and crevices of live rocks and in any other dark places available they come out at night and feed on detritus. They are good guys! :thumbup:

·
Reefer Dude Abides
161 Posts
True that ..They can mow down some pods...I use to watch mine at night, with a flash light and they were like buzz saws..nom nom nom nom...

·
Reefer Dude Abides
161 Posts
I got very lucky...I didnt get them until I had the tank a few years..It was a 92 gallon tank with 200 plus lbs of live rock..I had no idea about the pod thing with mandrins either.I just got lucky..That was my first tank and I made a lot of mistakes, but all of them, for the most part, worked out very well..Other example Clown Grouper in a tank with Peppermint shrimp..He was itty bitty, but when he grew. I got worried, hes a grouper after all. I was so worried I was camped out with a flash light when the tank was dark and wanted to see how he behaved in the dark..Popped the light on. Hes sitting there with his mouth wide open and there is a shrimp going in and out of his mouth and gills cleaning and eating...I worried no more after that...Those two had a very good relationship..

·
Reefer Dude Abides
161 Posts
I think Mandrins have a color code in nature like the blue ring octopus..that means danger danger...My Leaf lip grouper actually avoided them....Especially spotted Mandrins..Ive never had puffers though

1 - 18 of 18 Posts