The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are the pros and cons of doing that? I do want to have some different things in there but I've been thinking of having a mostly Zoa/paly's for my first reef tank, so if I was to have a tank like this what type of coral beisdes Zoas and Palys would I be able to successfully have with a tank over ran by zoas and palys, I found this thread when researching about having a zoa garden, http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1896006, and this is what I wanna pretty much do and I see other types of coral mixed in there and I thought that these corals couldn't be so close together like that, well I just wantd to get some opinons from you guys about doing this, I am still very new at this as some of you may know and I dont want to get in over my head but this is what I want to do with my tank, any advice?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hey KCIN! Long time no talk! I'm not an expert but I think one of the biggest pro's is that zoas and paly's are easy to keep ;). They can have a mild sting when next to other corals so I'm not sure what all you could keep with them if they spread throughout the entire tank. I love the look of a zoa garden in an aquarium and most of them can be bought cheap which is great for those of us on a budget :)

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aha, thanks guys, looking at all the different ones in that thread it looks like its going to be more confusing then tough, I know it wll be some work but it really looks confusing with everything all mahsed up together like that

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
the only probly i see is how in the world do you clean or siphon the tank... it probly dont matter considering they like organic rich water. I do say organic rich, not neccesarilly nitrate rich, although if you put too much organic material in a tank, and it does not leave there but stays it will turn into nitrates and among other things.. i believe they would eat alot, they would tolerate some nitrates, but i think they would do best with 0 nitrates... the thing is how to achieve this?? you would have to feed alot but the food would need to be removed by filtration and skimming. it seems it would be alot of work to me to have one of this magnatude.

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey JDG500, how have you been? Yeah the easy part of it is what makes me wanna go this route even more so`since its my first time ya know, the price thing works for now too, lol

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the only probly i see is how in the world do you clean or siphon the tank... it probly dont matter considering they like organic rich water. I do say organic rich, not neccesarilly nitrate rich, although if you put too much organic material in a tank, and it does not leave there but stays it will turn into nitrates and among other things.. i believe they would eat alot, they would tolerate some nitrates, but i think they would do best with 0 nitrates... the thing is how to achieve this?? you would have to feed alot but the food would need to be removed by filtration and skimming. it seems it would be alot of work to me to have one of this magnatude.
Yeah I was thinking to keeping them just on ethe rocks ya know like a colony on each rock or so and keeping them off the substrate so that I can get to it to siphon the substrate when doing WC's I think that tank is a little much but I was thinking that general idea ya know

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
was also thinking about redesigning my sump to have a bigger chamber where I could put more rock down in there for the more filtration but desining it to be easily removed for cleaning the sump

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hey JDG500, how have you been? Yeah the easy part of it is what makes me wanna go this route even more so`since its my first time ya know, the price thing works for now too, lol
I've been doing good. I was working 14 hrs a day 7 days a week for awhile so I wasn't ever on here. I'm getting caught up now so I have a little more free time. I buy most of my corals from reefaholic aka kandykorals on here and I've bought a couple of 4" zoa rocks from him for $8.50 and since he lives 30 min from me I don't have to pay any shipping ;). Jerrodbuffington brings up a good point on cleaning tho. Detritus settles on the rocks and if they're covered it would be hard to clean them off. I've never seen any detritus on the zoas when they're open but I wonder if it could collect around the bases when they're closed? Once again my lack of experience shines thru lol

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would love the idea u speak of. Neat kept patches of zoas here and there... Awesom
Yeah thats exactly how I was picturing it, except neat patches of zoas EVERYWHERE!!!, lol, well it's what I'm gonna go for

I've been doing good. I was working 14 hrs a day 7 days a week for awhile so I wasn't ever on here. I'm getting caught up now so I have a little more free time. I buy most of my corals from reefaholic aka kandykorals on here and I've bought a couple of 4" zoa rocks from him for $8.50 and since he lives 30 min from me I don't have to pay any shipping ;). Jerrodbuffington brings up a good point on cleaning tho. Detritus settles on the rocks and if they're covered it would be hard to clean them off. I've never seen any detritus on the zoas when they're open but I wonder if it could collect around the bases when they're closed? Once again my lack of experience shines thru lol
Theres only one way to find out huh, lol, I'm wondering if the rocks could just be blown off when they're closed up or if that would be to much stress for them, yeah thats some crazy hours to work man

·
Registered
711 Posts
I bought a plug of zoas as one of my first corals and it looks awsome now. It has almost completely covered one of my large rocks in about 6-7 months.
The first pic was early on and the second one shows how fast they spread. They are in the mid-right side of my tank. surrounded by my green chromis.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have covered one whole side of my tank with zoas. What I've found is the uglier the zoa is, the faster it grows. Buy the coolest looking ones you can and let them grow for a really long time before you try to introduce ugly ones (or don't even introduce them in the first place). I bought the "polyp grab bag" from blue zoo aquatics 4 times and there were 2 colonies total that were ugly. I added them just the same. Those 2 colonies of 3 or 4 polyps each have taken up 30% of the real estate on that side of the tank.

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a plug of zoas as one of my first corals and it looks awsome now. It has almost completely covered one of my large rocks in about 6-7 months.
The first pic was early on and the second one shows how fast they spread. They are in the mid-right side of my tank. surrounded by my green chromis.
Thats awesome, your whole tank looks great, thanks

I have covered one whole side of my tank with zoas. What I've found is the uglier the zoa is, the faster it grows. Buy the coolest looking ones you can and let them grow for a really long time before you try to introduce ugly ones (or don't even introduce them in the first place). I bought the "polyp grab bag" from blue zoo aquatics 4 times and there were 2 colonies total that were ugly. I added them just the same. Those 2 colonies of 3 or 4 polyps each have taken up 30% of the real estate on that side of the tank.
I guess that kind of figures huh, thanks for the tip :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Def good fun making a garden! Have a look at mine they have almost all grown together. Ive got lps, mushrooms and xenia mixed in to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts