The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand/ model of hydrometer have you experienced/ heard of the most accuracy with?

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
I think what people have done is use one in conjuction with a refractometer and figure out where the proper level should be on the hydrometer. But I would imagine that every hydrometer is different. When in doubt pull out the refractometer, if not itll be just a guess

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
bulb hydrometer: is that the one that looks like a long glass thermometer?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i dont think any are accurate, but they are consistant, meaning if you do measure it against a refracto, and mark the actual levels, you can do pretty well with it from there, just make sure to rinse it after every use, salt build up can throw your reading off over time.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
jenajet said:
bulb hydrometer: is that the one that looks like a long glass thermometer?
Yep.

I used to use them; but I kept breaking them. Based on the physics involved and their construction (bubbles cant stick to glass ;) ), they are infallible.

Refractometers, by far, are still the best choice tho. Relatively cheap, accurate, unaffected by temperature (if it has ATC), practically unbreakable, and very easy to use and read.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
A good lab grade bulb hydrometer is very accurate, I used them for years and like them, I don't know about the 5.00 ones that are around. As far as the plastic hydrometer, I have a few of them and all are in the ball park. I used them for a fast check when making up water. but I have seen some that are really off.

·
Banned
316 Posts
I agree with Andy. I haven't found a particular model that is accurate from one hydrometer to the next, but I've used Deep Six and Aquarium Systems swing arms in the lab. When I checked them against refractometers, one of the Aquarium Systems hydrometers was spot on, but the other one and the Deep Six were off by about 0.01-2. As long as they were rinsed after using they read the same consistently.

I recommend that if you do plan to use a hydrometer, either get the LFS or a local reefer to test it against a refractometer occasionally so you know how far off it is and ensure that it's still reading the same error.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
After spending tons of money on bulb and plastic hydrometers and finding out they were inaccurate, I spent the bucks and bought a refractometer. Sure works well and is very easy to use. I don't recommend any hydrometers, just a decent refractometer!

HHC

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
I think I must have spent over $100 on hydrometers during my early months. And all cause I didn't want to spend big bucks on the refractometer. Which I ended up getting from the good Dr's for ~$40.

Ironic. $16 here, $20 here, $15 here, $30 here...etc. When if I'd have just bought the dang thing in the first place....

(sigh)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts