The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, it's me again. Sorry to be a pest.

Anyway, based on the input from my first post, I've decided to go with a 4 lamp, 36" VHO set up on my 36" X 18" X 24" 65 gallon reef.

Now the question is what creatures would do well with this lighting set up? I know that SPS corals & T. Maxima clams & such are out of the question, but Euphyillia, Plerogyra, Dendrophyllia, Trachyphillia species are all on my wish list, but I'm not really sure which would be best suited for this amount of lighting.

Can anyone offer suggestions? Thanx!!

Bert

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
You 36in VHO's are 95W each correct?

that would make 380 Watts over a 65.

If so you could keep alot of things. Some LPS higher up in the rockwork, shrooms, leathers, Zoo's, you might be able to get some SPS on the top of the rockwork.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul,

Thanks for the response!

So you're in Sacto? I'm none too far down the road from you in the East S.F. Bay. Do you know of any other reefers around Concord/WalnutCreek?

Bert

·
Registered
12 Posts
You could probably keep just about anything except Maxima or Crocea clams as long as you keep them close to the light.:)

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Nix the dendronepthelia... (assuming that's what you meant?) They aren't photosynthetic at all, and rarely survive for long.

Other than that, your list looks fine. The others are all grouped loosely as "LPS," and will be fine under that lighting.

Danielle

·
Registered
645 Posts
If a clam is on your wish list, look at a squamosa or a hippopus. They do better under less intense lighting. I have a squamosa that is thriving under my PC's with about the same light distrbution as you will be using. Good luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ooops!! I have no idea why I typed "dendronepthelia" or "dendrophyliidae" or whatever. What I meant was Turbinaria. I know... not even close.

Forgive my ignorance, Paul, but what's a PAT ?

Thanks to all for your responses. I kinda figured I'd be OK if I stuck to mushroom, buttons and the LPS I mentioned, but it's been a long time since I last ran a reef, so I thought a reality check would be a good idea. I did use my copy of Sprung & Delbeek's "The Reef Aquarium" as a guide, but even that's a 1994 edition. Sorta gives you an idea of how long "a long time" is.

Anyway, thanks again,
Bert

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
I still use my Delbeek & Sprung set... It's old, but good. Just come here for more up to date info. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts