The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
Its been almost 2 weeks since I moved and lost all my fish except 3. I'm wanting to add more fish to my tank but I'm not sure if its too soon and what kind of fish I should add.
I have a 150 with a 30 gallon sump. Right now I have a Hippo a yellow tang and a bullet goby all fish and corals are doing and eating well.
I'm thinking either
a few small gobies but I'm afraid they will get sucked into the sieos I have
or
several bangles but they dont have a lot of color and aren't very active
or
several yellow tangs but will they fight with the yellow tang I have now? He's about 4 inches
or
several false clowns
or
several green chromis
I'm also interested in your opinions on would would work in my tank
I do have 1 shrimp or I would def go for a flame hawk.
so feel free to tell my what you think.
Thanks
Patrick

·
Administrator
47,018 Posts
No more tangs Patrick, blue and or green chromis might be a good addition, or maybe an angelfish

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Doug
I had a coral beauty and I must say I really loved her. She was also very well behaved never nipped or bothered the corals. Are flame angels reef safe? Maybe one of them and the chrmis would work? Do you feel its too sone after the move?

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
If you think it's too soon, than it probably is!

More than 2 small clowns is a bad idea down the road. Gobies would be fun, and I doubt they'd get sucked into powerheads. I like chromis, but you could get some that aren't the standard green. Maybe the blue reef or black bar? I would never try to get a couple of the same tang (or even more than a couple in that sized tank), as it's sure to be cause some kind of trouble (and I don't really like yellow tangs, but thats just me :)). Stick with the smaller fish; you can get away with a bunch of them and it's more interesting in terms of tank appeal in my experience.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Chris
ok I agree no more tangs I love the idea of several little fish as oposed to 1 or 2 bigger ones.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Six Line Wrasse or Mandarin are pretty generic fish, but need pods (the mandarin anyway).

Clowns are loads of fun. Clown Gobies are also plenty of fun. Cardinals (Benghai) are as you said (Bangles?) not the most active or colorful.

I also like a nice Blennie. I too would have a Flame Hawk, but I like my hermits, worms, shrimp too much. Long Nose Hawks are supposed to be a bit better.

Gotta say that I'm not sure what you lost, but to have the Hippo and Yellow Tangs survive is kinda strange.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Scott
I had a mated pair of black saddle back clowns( female about 4-5 inches male about 3-4inches) 1 coral beauty 1 cleaner wrasse 1 goby not sure what kind

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry to hear that your move didn't go so well. I moved my tank 2 weeks ago and everything lived. I think I lost quite a few pods, but I know they will be back. I also figured out why I am having such an aiptasia problem... my HOB filter(whisper 60) is completely full of them... I heard they are very good filters... but now the tank has exploded with them. I put 4 peppermints in... hopefully they start knocking it down.

I had a flame that picked at my zoas and ate my clam. My coral beauty pics at the algea and not at any coral.

I would go for a couple of Bengii's... and with the 150 a couple of yellow tangs would look good too. JMO

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks mmn
I already have one tang and fear the new ones would fight with him. I'm really happy you had such good luck with your move.

·
Registered
959 Posts
man sucks that you lost those fish, I say 3 chromis and 2 clowns,
no more tangs, and no sense in taking a chance on an Angel.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks Mike George and Platy
i like anthias but aren't they hard to keep alive? I would hate to be feeding my tank 3x a day for them. I Love fairy wrasse but the always jump on me. I have a glass hood with just enough opening for my return hose and I had two jump last yr.
If I got the chromis it would be prob at lest 7-8
and if I get the clowns this time I would want the smaller ones

1 - 13 of 13 Posts