The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not new to Saltwater, but have a new Aquapod 24g Im setting up for a friend and wonder if Im missing a concept or not. I put in 20 pounds of crushed sand, 26 pounds of live rock, 7 of which came from a fish store, and the other 19 pounds came from a guy locally who pulled it from one of his established tanks.

My first question is regarding oxygen flow. Now that the tank is full of water, each chamber (the front tank, the filter side on the back right, and the pump side on the back left) are all at the same level of water. Shouldnt the back 2 chambers have a lower level of water so that the water falls over the overflow and creates oxygen as it falls through the sponge? I talked to a guy at the fish store up the street and he said the pump side level of water should be about 4 or 5 inches below the tank and filter side. However, the wall between the pump and filter side is open at the bottom so the back 2 chambers will always be at the same level right?

I have more questions, but really need to grasp this initial concept/problem first. I really appreciate any feedback I can get on this.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
You are not missing anything unfortunately. That is one of the design flaws on the Aquapod. Those bottom two rows of slits in the filterbox will prevent surface skimming and allow the water level in the tank and filter area to be the same. As the sponge builds up with detritus you might get some small difference in water levels between the tank and pump area.

There is a mod that you can do with a piece of acrylic to block off the lower grates and make it a true overflow. A quick google search will give you all the info you need on it.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
No airstone, too much salt creep. Surface agitation and sufficent water movement will be enough. You can point your return nozzle up slightly so it ripples the water's surface. Some people have upgraded the return pump to get a little more flow. A Maxijet 1200 I think is the one recomended.

Even better would be adding an additional pump like a Koralia 1. It would help keep the water moving and oxygenated. Don't get talked into the Koralia Nano simply because you have a "nano" tank. It is too small for a 24 gallon Aquapod. In fact, depending on what you are keeping a Koralia 2 wouldn't be a bad choice either.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Are you sure there isn't a false wall behind that first overflow? those bottom slits may just be to increase circulation at the bottom of the tank, but I know on my overflow that there is a bottom intake but there is a wall behind it that's solid and the water has to go all the way up and over the top. If ALL the compartments are even that also means you a have a little too much water. Take out as much needed to give you the water height difference. :)

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
On many tanks, yes there is a second wall going to the top of the overflow. The Aquapod was not designed this way. You have to do it yourself with acrylic if you want true surface skimming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts