The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90g with a 45 refugium and I am trying to get my calcium to 400 and my DKH to 12. I have over the last week, added a lot or both, checking the next day on Salifert tests and i still seem to be stuck at 300 calc and at the highest 8 DKH. All my corals seem to be doing fine excet a leather that will not open up now. I am stopping anything until I get better educated at this. I have read several of Tom's posts, and it seems like I am on the right track, just not seeing th efruits of my labor here. I use RO/DI water. I use B-ionic calcium buffer system #1 and #2.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
Good call Chris :D Adam ( I am assuming this is your name so if it is not I apologize in advance :)) how often do you perform W/C's? and how much qnty do you change? But definately check your magnesium levels as this is usually the culprit to Ca and alk level problems
HTH

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Leather Corals also like Iodine. Some supplements have Iodine in them just check. You may want to look into adding some.

as far as the Cal and Alk sounds like the right track to me. It took a while for me to get mine to 450 and the DKH up. keep at it.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
Not to say there is anything wrong with additives, but doing regular water changes is thebest way to keep all of your levels nice and constant :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more

I wish I had time to do more, but i do a WC about every 3 weeks and change 20gallons when I do it. I do not have a Mg test kit, guess I will be getting one. What is the desired level of Mg?

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
even with water changes sometimes it just isnt enough
i do weekly water changes and was terribly low in alk and iodine

only add iodine if you can test for it, too much can destroy a tank

in fact dont add anything you cant test for :beer:

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
You want Mag to be around 1300, if you are using IO salt it will be low, probably around 1100. Mag is the often overlooked third wheel in the Alk, CA, Mag relationship.

How much are you adding exactly? According to my calculations to raise the levels like you want, from where you are now, if you are using the original ESV B-Ionic it would take

750ML of CA part
231 ML Alk part
(DON'T USE THESE NUMBERS!! DOUBLE CHECK FOR YOURSELF, I MAY NOT REALIZE WHAT YOU ARE USING.)

I would not run my tank at 12 DKH and 400 PPM CA though, balanced CA to an ALK of 12 is 450 PPM. I like to run my tank at 8 DKH and 425 PPM CA, that is in balance too.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mag

I bought me a test kit (seachem) on the way home, and my Mg is 1000, thanks for all the help everyone. My Ca is 3-325 and my alk is 8. My leather is closed up, everything else seems to be good. Polyps all open and bubble is wide open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts